Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 03:44 AM
jty
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
Ok, thanks. I understand the role of the VE tables in Open Loop and I had heard before that the VE tables had a role in Closed Loop operation but I really couldn't find any explanation. This makes sense, can you cite your source?
I have learned this by reading every thread I find in the various forums in the internet about SEPST and particularly following up the discussions in htt although most everybody posting there seems to use the TTS Mastertune instead of SEPST. The Mastertune user manual I downloaded from the internet is also an excellent source of information about the details how the ECM works once you understand well the SEPST software advanced mode.

FWIW, I hope I would have gotten the TTS instead of SEPST, it is so poorly supported and documented. This thread is about all there is. I even had to write some software myself to find the knock

Old 07-15-2012, 04:06 AM
jty
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hadye
OK i flashed the VCI with the map that came with the software 023CAR001. May be I was wrong to do this smart tuning in this very very hot weather. At night now it is 50 Celsius & it is 10 PM :WTF

I hope that the lugging & delayed response is from excessive heat around the engine. I will ship it tomorrow & hope that there will be a dyno in the Bike week that I will attend
Hadye, here is what I can recommend, hope you still get this:
The base map you picked up is for 2011 CVO engine with Screaming Eagle intake and race exhaust with 10.5 compression => high perf engine.
Now, you said you have done the smart tune few times. By all means you should use the smart tuned map rather than original map as it is always better than the original. Don't worry the VE values being different after each smart tune, if they are within 5% its good. If in doubt choose larger value, that may make your engine run richer but at least it does not break it like too lean may do.

Now that you are about to ship the bike, take your latest smarttuned calibration and set the AFR table to 0.925 everywhere from 20-80 MAP and 750-3500 RPM. The base map is very lean and in Europe 95E gas you get most everywhere has 10% ethanol causing the engine to run even leaner.
That should also help a bit with knock.

And do NOT check the "smart tune" box when flashing. If the last map you drove the bike with is the one you smarttuned, do NOT check the "reset adaptive fuel" box (preferred) but if you have already drove (more than few miles) with the original base map, you have to check the "reset adaptive fuel" when flashing the map with 0.925 Lambda

Last edited by jty; 07-15-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:49 AM
Hadye
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jty
Hadye, here is what I can recommend, hope you still get this:
The base map you picked up is for 2011 CVO engine with Screaming Eagle intake and race exhaust with 10.5 compression => high perf engine.
Now, you said you have done the smart tune few times. By all means you should use the smart tuned map rather than original map as it is always better than the original. Don't worry the VE values being different after each smart tune, if they are within 5% its good. If in doubt choose larger value, that may make your engine run richer but at least it does not break it like too lean may do.

Now that you are about to ship the bike, take your latest smarttuned calibration and set the AFR table to 0.925 everywhere from 20-80 MAP and 750-3500 RPM. The base map is very lean and in Europe 95E gas you get most everywhere has 10% ethanol causing the engine to run even leaner.
That should also help a bit with knock.

And do NOT check the "smart tune" box when flashing. If the last map you drove the bike with is the one you smarttuned, do NOT check the "reset adaptive fuel" box (preferred) but if you have already drove (more than few miles) with the original base map, you have to check the "reset adaptive fuel" when flashing the map with 0.925 Lambda
After the post that i wrote yesterday, I was frustrated from doing anything in the bike. Suddenly out of no where I went down, hooked the bike & updated the map with the last calibration fine. I also lowered the AFR to 13.2 in the same columns as you suggested. I even didn't select reset adaptive fuel. May be your thoughts were coming to my brain

Ok have uploaded the file after making the changes? give me your thoughts, Do I choose Reset adaptive fuel when flashing or not ? I know that smart tune will not be selected

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Latest.pdf (12.1 KB, 187 views)

Last edited by Hadye; 07-15-2012 at 05:00 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:17 AM
Hadye
Intermediate

OK, I got it. I will flash the last changes in the lambda & wouldn't reset the adaptive fuel. I used the bike this morning with the tuned map

Old 07-15-2012, 08:24 AM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Always select reset adaptive fuel.

This table "adaptive fuel" is what the computer uses to calculate AFR from previous rides. If you were way off on the map before, you will want the computer to rebuild this AFV from your new map. Not doing so could be causing your problem.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:26 PM
jty
Advanced

Originally Posted by editbrain

This table "adaptive fuel" is what the computer uses to calculate AFR from previous rides. If you were way off on the map before, you will want the computer to rebuild this AFV from your new map. Not doing so could be causing your problem.
The adaptive fuel table (AFV) is the place where the ECM "learns" in closed loop. So if he has been running most cells closed loop, the AFV values have "auto-smarttuned" the engine somewhat. When he alters the AFR table to open loop, I figured it would be desirable to keep the AFV intact as it makes the cal closer to truth. But it is safer to always reset the AFV if you are not sure. But that assumes the map is smart tuned before dropping to open loop.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:30 AM
Hadye
Intermediate

Well, I flashed it yesterday without the reset adaptive fuel. May be I should take my laptop with me together with cables when I travel. Already I have shipped the SEPST with the bike. I will use the time from now till the tour to get the most of the threads on the internet

Old 07-16-2012, 02:45 AM
Hadye
Intermediate

Originally Posted by editbrain

Not doing so could be causing your problem.
What kind of problems exactly ?

Last edited by Hadye; 07-16-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:25 AM
jty
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hadye
What kind of problems exactly ?
Well, unknown really as the AFV is not documented well enough anywhere. I have a faint idea how the AFV works but I am not 100% sure. For what I know, if you did not check the "reset afv", it may cause the engine run slightly richer on the areas where you changed the AFR table away from 14.6 and if you touched also the VE tables. But if you did what I recommended (eg. just changed the AFR table from 14.6 to 13.5) then it should be ok. FWIW, running slightly rich does not break your engine, worst case you need a set of spare spark plugs (which I doubt very much). If you are in Kuwait, my guess is you get real premium gasoline without ethanol and the 5-10% ethanol gas in Europe will cause your bike to run few percents leaner anyway.
Thus: I would not worry about it unless you did make modifications to the VE tables.

If you take the SEPST and cable with you, take also the SEPST software CD. Worst case, you can find someone who can lend a laptop for you to fix it or have a shop in europe to help with it.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:57 AM
Hadye
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jty
Thus: I would not worry about it unless you did make modifications to the VE tables.

If you take the SEPST and cable with you, take also the SEPST software CD. Worst case, you can find someone who can lend a laptop for you to fix it or have a shop in europe to help with it.
I didn't do any modifications to the VE tables other than the one already updated from Smart tuning cycles that I was doing on the bike. I didn't do any touch-ups or modifications , is that what you mean?

Am already taking my netbook with me to download pics from my Camera memory card so the whole "system" is in hand

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread