Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Hadye
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was just checking the exhaust & found some bluish coloration on it. It was recently installed , made around 1000 Km on it , but I went thought several cycles of tuning , I know that some adjustments in the AFR can cause this , do u have any advice ?

Old 07-09-2012, 11:10 AM
jty
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hadye
Was just checking the exhaust & found some bluish coloration on it. It was recently installed , made around 1000 Km on it , but I went thought several cycles of tuning , I know that some adjustments in the AFR can cause this , do u have any advice ?
Smart tuning is really quite lean and engine runs very hot and colors the exhaust

Old 07-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jty
In your method you say to look for signs of detonation. I assume you mean simply looking for knock retard events - this is how I have been able to remove most of my ping but there is still some left. Is there other ways to detect detonation by just analyzing the data? My sepst samples the data only about twice per second so figuring out the exact affected cells is not exact science.
You might need to look at a few frames prior to the knock event.

Also, you can purchase My Tune. You load to timing maps, recordings and few other items and it generates timing adjustments. You then manually make the changes to the F/R timing maps.

I also use My Tune to look at the hits in the different cells during Smart tuning. This helps me know where I missed or didn't get anough data. One option I like about the TTS which has this ability built in.

http://www.tunemyharley.com/

Last edited by Grillfish; 07-09-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Hadye
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jty
Smart tuning is really quite lean and engine runs very hot and colors the exhaust
What I need to do now, continue with smart tuning ? Or adjust the current map

Old 07-09-2012, 03:43 PM
jty
Advanced

Originally Posted by Grillfish
You might need to look at a few frames prior to the knock event.

Also, you can purchase My Tune. You load to timing maps, recordings and few other items and it generates timing adjustments. You then manually make the changes to the F/R timing maps.

I also use My Tune to look at the hits in the different cells during Smart tuning. This helps me know where I missed or didn't get anough data. One option I like about the TTS which has this ability built in.

http://www.tunemyharley.com/
I do not believe into looking few frames prior. Logging rate is just 1/500ms and for example at 3000 rpm each frame contains data for 25 revs. The knock events I see still are with rapid change in map/tps.

My question is really to jluvs2ride if he has figured out any other way to find detonation than the knock events, as I still get slight ping with light load sometimes but no knock events

Old 07-09-2012, 03:55 PM
jty
Advanced

What I need to do now, continue with smart tuning ? Or adjust the current map
When you smart tune, sepst sets the whole afr map to 14.6 which is quite lean. If the VE values were very low in the base map, the engine was running very lean. Just do not run the bike extensively and hot with smart tuning. And do use premium gas. And make sure the values in the VE tables do not start too low - let the smart tune generally lower them.

Here's my way as the gas where I live is pretty good:
Once you are happy with the VEs, set the AFR table to 13.5 on the light load areas and 13 everywhere else - 12.8 on the 90-100 column. That way it is not too lean. Then make sure there is no knock by looking into the knock retard events in the log and add timing where they happen

Old 07-09-2012, 11:37 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jty
I do not believe into looking few frames prior. Logging rate is just 1/500ms and for example at 3000 rpm each frame contains data for 25 revs. The knock events I see still are with rapid change in map/tps.

My question is really to jluvs2ride if he has figured out any other way to find detonation than the knock events, as I still get slight ping with light load sometimes but no knock events
So you are saying that you are hearing or seeing knock events? Are you hearing pinging and not seeing a correlating knock event?

I run a custom Open Loop AFR map that is a bit on the rich side. I buy premium no ethanol gas. My timing map is prety high and the bike runs great. I don't hear or see any knock.

If you are hearing ping, but not seeing a knock event you would have to watch your tach (if you have one) and your TP really close and try to figure out where it is occuring.

I think I get what you are saying about the logging rate. So at 3k rpm a single frame has data for 25 rotatations of the crank shaft. Double that, so at 6k rpm a frame has data for 50 rotations. My question is how long does a knock event last. It isn't actually a single event but rather a series of detonations. I believe you would see them.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:38 AM
Hadye
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jty
Here's my way as the gas where I live is pretty good:
Once you are happy with the VEs, set the AFR table to 13.5 on the light load areas and 13 everywhere else - 12.8 on the 90-100 column. That way it is not too lean. Then make sure there is no knock by looking into the knock retard events in the log and add timing where they happen
It's all new to me, that's why I don't know what values would make me happy? The other thing is that nowadays the weather is TOO hot here in this region. What I can do is to take the bike at late night when the weather is cool & try to smart tune. I am about to ship the bike to Europe for a tour there & need to make it optimum for the long trip. Am attaching the comparison between the basemap & the tuned map for your evaluation.

Can you help with that?

on the other hand , if I fail to do this, Does anybody have a good map that will work on my engine? I have a softail convertible 110 with screaming eagle AC & only the mufflers were changed from stock to V&H TwinSlash 3" (& they are becoming blue)

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Comparison Front Cylinder.pdf (18.2 KB, 198 views)
File Type: pdf
Comparison Rear Cylinder.pdf (18.6 KB, 181 views)

Last edited by Hadye; 07-10-2012 at 03:47 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:03 AM
jty
Advanced

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
So you are saying that you are hearing or seeing knock events? Are you hearing pinging and not seeing a correlating knock event?

I run a custom Open Loop AFR map that is a bit on the rich side. I buy premium no ethanol gas. My timing map is prety high and the bike runs great. I don't hear or see any knock.

If you are hearing ping, but not seeing a knock event you would have to watch your tach (if you have one) and your TP really close and try to figure out where it is occuring.

I think I get what you are saying about the logging rate. So at 3k rpm a single frame has data for 25 rotatations of the crank shaft. Double that, so at 6k rpm a frame has data for 50 rotations. My question is how long does a knock event last. It isn't actually a single event but rather a series of detonations. I believe you would see them.
The knock event lasts typically over few frames but by far most of them look like they are triggered by a condition and then the ECU decays the retard slowly over few seconds as it does not see the condition again.
If the condition stays the knock event gets extended and this is easy to see in the graph as the retard keeps a level over few frames. Then it is easy to spot the map/rpm/tps range and richen it and pull timing. I have concluded that it is best to look at the tps/map/rpm in the exact frame where the knock triggered and go from there.
I still see some occasional knock events, typically around switching gears and quick throttle blips but for given rpm/tps/map combo, the probability is low.
However my problem is that I still hear slight but constant knock / valvetrain noise on certain light load areas but no retard events. I was curious if you have figured out a way other than retard events to find detonation either from logs or riding.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:07 AM
jty
Advanced

It's all new to me, that's why I don't know what values would make me happy? The other thing is that nowadays the weather is TOO hot here in this region. What I can do is to take the bike at late night when the weather is cool & try to smart tune. I am about to ship the bike to Europe for a tour there & need to make it optimum for the long trip. Am attaching the comparison between the basemap & the tuned map for your evaluation.

Can you help with that?

on the other hand , if I fail to do this, Does anybody have a good map that will work on my engine? I have a softail convertible 110 with screaming eagle AC & only the mufflers were changed from stock to V&H TwinSlash 3" (& they are becoming blue)
I am by no means an expert enough to offer other advise than that if you are planning to take it to an overseas tour, get it to a respectable tuner around your area to get the VE's set properly.
And in Europe, do use the 98E gas (5% ethanol)

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread