Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanicalman

I also noted that some of the calibration files stage 2 and above have much less aggressive timing charts than shows in the 044AAO003 stage 1 base file for our bikes.
Some cams have extra timing built in. For instance, the SE204s have 8° that you need to adjust for in the timing table or the bike runs like crap after fitting them.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:36 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Still not happy with the software or the results and still baffled by the difference between two nearly identical bikes sharing the supposedly same file.
This sounds like a user problem.

You can reload the file to both bikes to ensure that yes both bikes are running the same file.

I've about given up on trying to correct the pinging that I'm seeing by adjusting VE's and AFR's.
Why were you adjusting VEs for Pinging?

I have posted a method numerous times for adjusting a timing profile.

You previously mentioned that you weren't seeing any knock retard in your recordings, but that you were hearing it. I tried to ask some questions to pursue some troubleshooting and was apparently ignored.

That leaves the timing charts. I dropped the timing from 2750 to 5000 rpm from 30 tp 80 kpa by 3 to 5 points. It reduced the pinging but hasn't quite gotten rid of all of it. I still need to tweak a few more cells. One interesting thing is that with the 3 to 5 point drop my bike was a tiny bit quicker than my sons. Before that change he could always pull away from me in a roll-on. This leads me to believe that his actual timing has to be different from what shows on his VCI. The working table from his VCI shows the same as the original, even though he never has had the pinging issue that I have.
Are you seeing knock retard or not? If you are, you should be able to track it on the recording and fix the problem area. If you are hearing "something" but not seeing knock retard then I suggest that you have other issues.

Can someone explain why the front and rear cylinders would need different timing, and which one should be more advanced in a particular cell front or rear? There seem to be areas where the front is higher than the rear and lower than the rear in a different area.
Numerous reasons. Both cylinders will have different flow, different heat transfer at different RPM, throttle positions, etc..

I also noted that some of the calibration files stage 2 and above have much less aggressive timing charts than shows in the 044AAO003 stage 1 base file for our bikes.
Yes. A stage 2 will likely require a less agressive timing profile. Cam profile could be one reason, compression could be another, or both.

I think I'm finally on the right track but still have a way to go to get it right.

How about someone posting some good timing charts?
How about you help us try to help you?

Last edited by jluvs2ride; 07-05-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:20 AM
Hadye
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, Guys I spend alot of time reading your posts. very informative yet starting this is like an addiction , u don't know when u r going to stop.

I have a CVO convertible 2012, the base map that I started with was 023CAR001. After doing many runs about 10 with the suggested updated on VE tables I can feel a change in the bike being more smoother & responsive YET every time I hook the tuner there is always a change in the VE table & it is not a minor one , alot of cells are changin every time. Also from what I understood the base map doesn't have a single cell of AFR that have 14.6 so I guess the whole range is in open loop ?

Old 07-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

When you select "smart tune" it overrides the maps AFR table and inputs all cells at 14.6 so the ECM will be looking for that and know if the cylinders are VE is high or lower then what is in the tables. That is why it gives you a warning when you select smart tune. If the ambient temperature and humidity are not the same from one run to the other then the VE tables will change. I do most of my tuning runs early in the AM before traffic and higher temps.

How is the bike running over all?

Last edited by Airborne350G; 07-05-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Hadye
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but the AFR by default in the map I chose is 14.3 not 14.6 thats why I don't have any CLB in my menu. As for the temperatures nowadays it is very "very" hot that's why I ride the bike for tuning only at night but in the same time & temperature. As for the bike it is running great for the time being & am satisfied with but got caught with the amount of information just wanted to know if there is another window of improvement

Old 07-06-2012, 11:35 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hadye
but the AFR by default in the map I chose is 14.3 not 14.6 thats why I don't have any CLB in my menu. As for the temperatures nowadays it is very "very" hot that's why I ride the bike for tuning only at night but in the same time & temperature. As for the bike it is running great for the time being & am satisfied with but got caught with the amount of information just wanted to know if there is another window of improvement
I've posted a method for optimizing your timing table.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:51 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hadye
but the AFR by default in the map I chose is 14.3 not 14.6 thats why I don't have any CLB in my menu.
There are two kinds of maps now for the SEPST.

There are the original maps which show the CLB tables. With these maps the AFR tables don't give an option to adjust Lambda rather than AFR. When you want to trim the closed-loop area(s) you set the cells to 14.6 and then use the CLB tables to guestimate the AFR you will get based on the bias voltage you enter for the O2 sensors.

Some of the newer maps don't show the CLB tables in the list on the left. When you open the AFR table you will have the option to "Display as Lambda values". This is handy if you are adjusting things for non-pure-gasoline fuels such as E10. It also lets you enter values between 14.1 and 14.5 and these cells are then shown in bold, meaning that this is closed-loop. Values outside this range are not bolded and will be in open loop. So there is no need to adjust the CLB tables directly and these are hidden.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:27 AM
skip3406
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 2 Posts

I tuned my bike here & we‘re @ sea level & it runs good, but when I get up in the mountains it runs a bit sluggish. Any suggestions?

Old 07-08-2012, 05:51 AM
Billyram
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skip3406
I tuned my bike here & we‘re @ sea level & it runs good, but when I get up in the mountains it runs a bit sluggish. Any suggestions?
That's normal with the air being thinner @ the higher altitude. Less oxygen the ECM trims back the fuel = a bit less power.
Billy

Old 07-09-2012, 04:38 AM
jty
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
I've posted a method for optimizing your timing table.
In your method you say to look for signs of detonation. I assume you mean simply looking for knock retard events - this is how I have been able to remove most of my ping but there is still some left. Is there other ways to detect detonation by just analyzing the data? My sepst samples the data only about twice per second so figuring out the exact affected cells is not exact science.

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread