Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 11:22 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Airborne350G
With the SEPST do I have to connect it to the computer if I just want to do some data rides? Reason I am asking is I am leaving work early and wanting to do some data collection on the way home from work tomorrow. Could I just connect the VCI to the bike and press the button for record and then download the recordings when I get home?
Before you leave for work start the bike and activate the VCI, press the red button to start recording on the way to work. When you get to work, press the red button to stop recording BEFORE you switch off the ignition. When you leave work, start the bike and press the red button to start recording again. When you get home you'll have two recordings to download.

The computer only has to be conntected to the VCI IOT activate the VCI for recording and then later for downloading.

Last edited by jluvs2ride; 05-03-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:47 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

So I am glad I forgot to bring the VCI in with me today. LOL Guess I need to head home early and set it up with the laptop and then take a little spin this afternoon.

Thanks for the info

Old 05-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Smart tuning is fun... Forgot to bring in the VCI with me yesterday. Well it would not have worked anyway. Did some runs today with "smart tune" selected on e download. Did some highway runs and some back road runs. Was even able to get some roll on up to 5500 RPMs. Took those runs and generated the changes in the VE tables. Just got back from the test ride on that adjust map and it is pulling better now and less decel pop at the 1500 RPMs.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:46 PM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 266 Likes on 138 Posts

Hi all, I'm back.
Last summer I replaced my PCIII with a SEPST, and did the autotuning to update VE tables, been happy with riding my scoot. Now I'm planning to do a cam swap in a few weeks, and trying to get my tuner ducks in a row ahead of time.

Decide to go with a Andrews 48H, in a twin cam 96 with upgraded AC and VH pipes. My searching suggests using a base map with a SE 255 cam since they are similar. However, the only super tuner map I can find for my Dyna/ECM also has the big bore, 103". So, my first question is: Should I use that base map and change the CID setting to 96.7" and then do logging/Autotune to update VE tables, or should I just use my current map and use data logging and auto tune to update the VE tables? The AFR maps look similar except my current AFR table adds more fuel in the 20kPa column.

Question 2: will doing the autotune keep me from running lean and frying the engine?

last question: I'm thinking I would like to get it dyno'd and tuned by a pro, and Jamie/FuelMoto is only a few hours away. How much more performance will I get from having it dyno'd vs autotune?

Thanks

Old 05-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 02fx4dude
Should I use that base map and change the CID setting to 96.7" and then do logging/Autotune to update VE tables, or should I just use my current map and use data logging and auto tune to update the VE tables?
Tricky. Not so much cos of the fueling than the timing. Some cams really mess with timing, for instance the SE204s add 8° of timing that you have to adjust in the map or the bike runs crap. Don't know enough about your planned cams to say for sure. You really can only be confident of the Harley SEPST maps with stock and SE hardware.
Question 2: will doing the autotune keep me from running lean and frying the engine?
Depends how close the map is to what hardware you are running. Autotune is really for bedding in a map that matches your hardware, it tweaks for local conditions and variations in the hardware, its not for making major adjustments.

last question: I'm thinking I would like to get it dyno'd and tuned by a pro, and Jamie/FuelMoto is only a few hours away. How much more performance will I get from having it dyno'd vs autotune?
Autotune doesn't tune. It knows nothing about performance. If the maker of your map used a dyno and tuned for power then doing some autotuning will get the AFRs he found optimal onto your bike. But you don't know anything about that map maker and he might have either not used a dyno, made a crap job of it if he did or didn't even have best performance as his remit. Only time on a dyno will get your bike tuned.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Billyram
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02fx4dude
Hi all, I'm back.
Last summer I replaced my PCIII with a SEPST, and did the autotuning to update VE tables, been happy with riding my scoot. Now I'm planning to do a cam swap in a few weeks, and trying to get my tuner ducks in a row ahead of time.

Decide to go with a Andrews 48H, in a twin cam 96 with upgraded AC and VH pipes. My searching suggests using a base map with a SE 255 cam since they are similar. However, the only super tuner map I can find for my Dyna/ECM also has the big bore, 103". So, my first question is: Should I use that base map and change the CID setting to 96.7" and then do logging/Autotune to update VE tables, or should I just use my current map and use data logging and auto tune to update the VE tables? The AFR maps look similar except my current AFR table adds more fuel in the 20kPa column.

Thanks
I have about the same set up as yours and I'm using map 176ST002 with the A/F tables modified in the 15-40 map / 1000-1125 rpm range. This map has a timing curve that works well with the 48H.
As far as how much more performance your tuner can get depends on how well you tune your bike before putting it on the dyno. The dyno will help smooth out the torque curve. Mine was on the rollers less than 30 mins with only 3 cells needing changed. This showes how easy this cam is to tune in.
Billy

Old 05-06-2012, 09:04 PM
fdny136
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default sest

I have the screaming eagle street tuner and have used the smart tune feature stage one for my 2012 ultra 103.it has made a difference in the way it performs but now im wondering should I have gotten a pro tuner?if so do I need to put the bike back to stock? can I save my maps and use the pro ?I plan on maybe selling the street tuner then.thanks

Old 05-07-2012, 06:36 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by fdny136
I have the screaming eagle street tuner and have used the smart tune feature stage one for my 2012 ultra 103.it has made a difference in the way it performs but now im wondering should I have gotten a pro tuner?if so do I need to put the bike back to stock? can I save my maps and use the pro ?I plan on maybe selling the street tuner then.thanks
The street tuner is married to your bike, so it would be worthless to any one else. In other words, you don't have anything you can re-sell. If you do decide to purcahse the Super Tuner you might as well throw the Street Tuner in the trash. You would not need to put the bike back to stock, the SEPST would simply write a new MAP over top of the Steet Tuner MAP and the street tuner MAP would be lost.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:41 AM
fdny136
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks much for the reply this thread has been very informitive.I am going to get the pro and tweak the bike some more.just wish I read this before I bought the street.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:58 AM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 266 Likes on 138 Posts

Thanks Foxster and Billyram for the replies. Unfortunately my home internet has been out all weekend and I'm here at work now.

Anyway, thanks for the good info. I looked at the file you mentioned Billyram, interesting you use a map for the 204 cam. I think the one I was looking at was 176AE004, but I don't have it here so I'm not sure. Can't say I know alot about tuning for performance, my butt dyno isn't real accurate. How much tuning did you have to do after adjusting your VE tables? did you adjust spark timing, AFR, or both.

Thanks

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread