Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 10:20 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Timing with the SEPST

Remember that when you click the Smart Tune button it sets up all the cells in the AFR table at 14.6. If you were to run this lean with a performance timing profile you would possibly get excessive detonation. That is why the SEPST removes 4 degrees for Smart Tuning.

I run a custom AFR table that is 100% Open Loop and used the SEPST to create a custom timing profile. To create the timing profile I increased the timing for every cell in the timing tables by about 4 degrees and rode the bike while recording the data not in Smart Tune mode. I pushed it kinda hard trying to create conditions where detonation would occur. I'd examine the run data looking for detonation and determine where it occurred. I'd look at the AFR table and if that area seemed lean, I'd fatten it a bit and repeat the data run process to see if that fixed it. If not, or if I believed the AFR was already rich enough I'd go and remove 2 degrees timing from the appropriate area and repeat the data run process to see if that fixed it. If not I'd remove 2 more degrees. Most of the time the solution was tweaking the timing not the AFR. I kept repeating the entire process, push timing ahead 4 degrees, collect run data, mitigate detonation by richening mixture or removing timing in the appropriate areas. I limited timing advance to no more than 45 degrees.

This is sort of an experiment, and I'll be working it some more when I get home, but the bike runs good and strong, no popping. I've watched the heat data and everything seems fine.

Last edited by jluvs2ride; 04-16-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought a new AC cover, went from the OEM oval cover to just an 8" round cover so the K&N filter is wide open. I've been using a high flow AC already. I got my bike Smart tuned realy good (smooth as glass, good power, much cooler and still 45 mpg) and with the help of the experts, got rid of all my decel poping, both twisting the throttle (DE table) and decel with the engine (low MAP column of the AFR table).

Well to my surprise during a nice ride today, the bike started to pop when shifting from 1 to 2 and when slowing down between 3 to 2 RPMs... I must have been right on the edge of the fuel setting so with my stock oval cover, nothing ignited in the pipes.

Anyone experience that before?

But, boy you can realy hear the air being sucked into the intake with the filter exposed like that.

Time to go make some adjustments... does this ever end

Last edited by Grillfish; 04-12-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Buch
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am having serious problem. FXDF 2012, SE slip on, SE Heavy breather, SEPST. My problem is i installed the tuner program i had for my 08 bob, 32111-10. I've connection but when i want to reflash the ecm button is grey out(not active). I could not see my ECM information. Did this a couple of times on my 08 BOB. what is it with this 2012? Could it be the file i was about to use? 176AE100.dt0, if so can someone PM med files for 2012. thanks!

Old 04-12-2012, 04:27 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Buch
Am having serious problem. FXDF 2012, SE slip on, SE Heavy breather, SEPST. My problem is i installed the tuner program i had for my 08 bob, 32111-10. I've connection but when i want to reflash the ecm button is grey out(not active). I could not see my ECM information. Did this a couple of times on my 08 BOB. what is it with this 2012? Could it be the file i was about to use? 176AE100.dt0, if so can someone PM med files for 2012. thanks!
If the VCI was married to the ECM on the 08, you cannot access the ECM on the 12.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:35 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
If the VCI was married to the ECM on the 08, you cannot access the ECM on the 12.
I thnk he tried to load the MAP from his 08 onto a new VCI for his '12. He just need to load a MAP for a newer model. Just hook the bike up and click on the load MAP icon, the ones that are available will show up, choose the closest one and start from there.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:01 PM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Buch
2012 Dyna is a CAN bus bike and requires the 2012 software..........

HD do not provide free yearly updates they only provide updates for the year you buy so when they change ECM's like they did for the 2012 Dyna you need to buy the new software.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Hi gang. Question on target VE values - just began tuning w/mine and first thing I did was reset eng size to 96 (what I have) from the 103 in the current program. Smart tune run was very lean, so I didn't go far. Got back home and checked updates, noticed I was maxed out on quite a few cells (127).

Reflashed w/the original file and ran out of time to do more. This bike has the 255 cam along w/HD's intake and slip-ons along with catless headers. VE values currently run as high as mid /upper 80's. My question is where do I want the tables at? Is it ok to tune with the current 103 configuration, or should I set eng. size somewhere in between to get closer to 100% at say, 80% throttle?

With 1100 posts, I didn't feel like reading through them all. I'll apologize in advance if this has been covered elsewhere.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:20 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
Hi gang. Question on target VE values - just began tuning w/mine and first thing I did was reset eng size to 96 (what I have) from the 103 in the current program. Smart tune run was very lean, so I didn't go far. Got back home and checked updates, noticed I was maxed out on quite a few cells (127).

Reflashed w/the original file and ran out of time to do more. This bike has the 255 cam along w/HD's intake and slip-ons along with catless headers. VE values currently run as high as mid /upper 80's. My question is where do I want the tables at? Is it ok to tune with the current 103 configuration, or should I set eng. size somewhere in between to get closer to 100% at say, 80% throttle?

With 1100 posts, I didn't feel like reading through them all. I'll apologize in advance if this has been covered elsewhere.
raising the CID is very common, if you max out cells in your VE tables, raising the CID will allow more room for adjustment. It's not uncommon for me to raise the CID substancially higher than the actual CID on a well build bike. I had to raise the CID on my 110 CI bike to 155 CI to have enough room to adjust. My wifes 96" Lowrider with cams is at 103" as well.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Harleytuner, thanks for the feedback. I'm still wondering where the target VE value should be, however. Nothing specific on the software to indicate what region is best for tuning purposes.

Does smart tuning make displacement a moot point, as it's resetting values anyway? That doesn't seem logical because it obviously runs out of room at 127 - that's how I know to increase CI. That being the case, how do we know when to DEcrease displacement?

I'm asking because from what I understand, the process begins by getting VE where it needs to be. Everything else is based on that, correct?

Ultimately, my goal is to get AFR to about 13.9/14.0. Premium around here is 10% ethanol, and I'd like to run it a shade rich in addition - that's what this is all about.

Appreciate the help!

Old 04-12-2012, 07:59 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
Harleytuner, thanks for the feedback. I'm still wondering where the target VE value should be, however. Nothing specific on the software to indicate what region is best for tuning purposes.

Does smart tuning make displacement a moot point, as it's resetting values anyway? That doesn't seem logical because it obviously runs out of room at 127 - that's how I know to increase CI. That being the case, how do we know when to DEcrease displacement?

I'm asking because from what I understand, the process begins by getting VE where it needs to be. Everything else is based on that, correct?

Ultimately, my goal is to get AFR to about 13.9/14.0. Premium around here is 10% ethanol, and I'd like to run it a shade rich in addition - that's what this is all about.

Appreciate the help!
There is no real target VE, when you are correcting your VE tables you are really only calibrating your bike, teaching it the right amount of air to take in to acheive a desired goal. Once you teach your bike what it is really doing, you will set the AFR table, the AFR table has ranges in it, that is where you will set it leaning for the ranges you want to get better fuel economy and richer for the areas that you want more performance. In other words in the areas that you typically cruise in you'll want to be more leaner so yu get good fuel economy, but in the higher load ranges and higher RPM ranges you will want to richen it up a bit for better performance. If you are tuning your VE tables and you start to see some cells getting up in the low to mid 120's you'll want to think about raising the CID. The other end of that spectrum is the low end which is 40, if you started having alot of cells down in the 40's you'd want to lower your CID's.

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread