Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 02:58 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mich
For the money you pay for the SEPST it should come with a velcro strap! I think it was designed to mount to the swingarm.
Mine did.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:39 PM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats 3 long calibration runs. It feels like my bike is gonna vibrate apart, no to mention how sluggish at times. I think I will do one more run, and then reload the NEW map and take it from there.
At this point the VE values dont all repeat themselves within 5% and the 02 integrator values are not ALL between 95 and 105 %.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 267 Posts

First of all I want to say thanks for having this thread! So much great information. I have seen the topic of tuning brought up in other threads and have not got much useful info from those discussions. I have been doing as much reading on this subject as I can and watched the training dvd, but I still have a few questions. The last time I did any kind of performance tuning I had a vacuum guage taped to a windshield wiper and a distributor wrench and screwdriver in the passenger seat ... lol.

My set up: 2011 Fat Boy Lo (96ci) with Vance & Hinds Big Shots Stagered, a SE Ventilator AC, and SEPST (32109-08B)

First question is about the base map. The dealer who did the work had the map for a 103 (241DB001.dt0) installed. Is this a oversight on their part or is there some kind of advantage to telling the ECM there are more cubic inches than there really is? I reloaded the 96ci (241DA001.dt0) map and did a smart tune run yesterday. I am having the same decel issues that were talked about a few pages back, after reflashing made a short gas run and things were a bit better but still grumpy when I get off the throttle. I remember it being like that when I picked it up from the dealer, but it seems like it got better over time I have put almost 1000 miles on the dealer set up, but since I installed the new map yesterday it gets grumpy. ????

Second question is do I reflash every time I do a data run, or should I make a few data runs then reflash? When I check the enable smart tune does it go back to the base or does it try to improve on what changes have already been made?

Another question I have is about the timing is it better to turn off the knock control or just bump the timing like another member talked about?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Old 04-08-2012, 09:35 PM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My dealer did a dyno and started with 176AE106.
If you start getting VE numbers higher than 125 you can change the CI.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
First of all I want to say thanks for having this thread! So much great information. I have seen the topic of tuning brought up in other threads and have not got much useful info from those discussions. I have been doing as much reading on this subject as I can and watched the training dvd, but I still have a few questions. The last time I did any kind of performance tuning I had a vacuum guage taped to a windshield wiper and a distributor wrench and screwdriver in the passenger seat ... lol.

My set up: 2011 Fat Boy Lo (96ci) with Vance & Hinds Big Shots Stagered, a SE Ventilator AC, and SEPST (32109-08B)

First question is about the base map. The dealer who did the work had the map for a 103 (241DB001.dt0) installed. Is this a oversight on their part or is there some kind of advantage to telling the ECM there are more cubic inches than there really is? I reloaded the 96ci (241DA001.dt0) map and did a smart tune run yesterday. I am having the same decel issues that were talked about a few pages back, after reflashing made a short gas run and things were a bit better but still grumpy when I get off the throttle. I remember it being like that when I picked it up from the dealer, but it seems like it got better over time I have put almost 1000 miles on the dealer set up, but since I installed the new map yesterday it gets grumpy. ????

Second question is do I reflash every time I do a data run, or should I make a few data runs then reflash? When I check the enable smart tune does it go back to the base or does it try to improve on what changes have already been made?

Another question I have is about the timing is it better to turn off the knock control or just bump the timing like another member talked about?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Everytime I do a data run (usually about 1 hour of data) I come home, generate the new VE values with the data from the run I just made, update the map that I used to generate the new values then I "save as" the new file with a new date and time so I know what the newest change is, then I reflash the bike with the newest map I just made. I always do my data runs with the newest map. The newest map will always have the closest VE tables, and everytime I update it and reflash it should get closer and closer in tune. If I go out and do another hour long data run, I again come home generate new VE values, update the new map I just used and reflash the bike again. Just keep repeating after every data run, reflashing every time and you update your VE tables.

Last edited by Mich; 04-09-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Mich
Road Master

Hoping someone can chime in here.

I have logged alot of data runs now amounting to hours and hours of data. I have gathered a lot of data at all throttle positions and rpms though most of the data is from the 0-40% throttle and 750-6000 rpm ranges. Higher throttle and rpms are hard to gather safely on public roads. Anyways, I find that with some of the cells I am getting changes in the 1% or less range but I am also still getting changes to quite a few of my VE cells in the 2-5% range which I find surprising after collecting so much data. Some of the cells in the lower ranges that I have collected good data for many times are still changing by several percent. Is it normal to take this much time and data?

Another question is: instead of just using the data from my latest and newest data run to modify my newest map, is it possible or should I load all of my data runs from the oldest to the newest(there are 27 data files of varying sizes) to modify my newest map? Does this make sense? It just seems like all of the VE table cells are never going to get within .5%.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Mich
Road Master

I should add that it is a 2012 Iron with a stage one kit and NRHS 1250 conversion. I have changed the engine displacement to 1250.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:31 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd suggest loading all the most recent data files in one go and generating from this. Then you should get an averaged set of values, otherwise the odd unexpected reading in the last applied file might scew the VEs.

I'd suggest avoiding data collected under different conditions: season, hardware, etc.

And, yes, I always seem to get some odd numbers too. As long they are not much more than 5% I don't worry about them.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mich
I find the hardest part is getting the data for the higher throttle position/rpm cells safely without a dyno.
Yes, same here, but I have a highway near my house. I head out on Sunday mornings to do my high RPM tunes. My luck has been good with no LEOs, yet, as I've been close to 100mph (but I wouldn't recomend it for everyone ). In 4th and 5th gear, you can do some nice steady rollons from lower RPMS to high RPMs and down.

When I exit the highway onto an off ramp, I use that portion to get my decel VEs tuned. High RPM to low RPM with just the engine slowing me down. Worked great!

Good luck be safe.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:00 AM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paud
My dealer did a dyno and started with 176AE106.
If you start getting VE numbers higher than 125 you can change the CI.
Yes, you can change the CIs if you are bumping up to the max, but if you do change the CIs, then you need to start al over with Smart tuning.

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread