Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:17 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Mich
Any comments on this? this is the first I have heard about selectively adjusting the recommendations from the smarttune program for the VE tables. I have noticed while adjusting the VE tables that the software usually goes too high with it's first recommendation on a cell and then in subsequent data runs it dials the cell closer, so I usually see the cell number decrease. If you do have to be selective with the recommendations, that makes the software not that great for people that are not tuners.
Basically what I am asking is: Have people gotten good VE results just using all the recommended cell changes when using smart tune instead of selecting just the ones they think are appropriate?

I recommend just letting smarttune do it's thing. (accept the canges). The o2 sensors are narrow band, so if the bike is running out of the scope of the o2 sensors in a certain area it will make more of a drastic attempt to get it close so it can dial it in. That is the reason it takes multiple smarttune runs to get the VE tables where they need to be. to answer your question, YES you can get VERY good results accepting all the smarttune changes.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:19 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by paud
I am curious. In the smart tune learning CD, it "recommends" turning OFF knock control during a smart tune run. Have any of you done this? If no, then why and if yes, did it make a difference?
Yes you should always turn off knock control when tuning a bike. If the bike detects knock in a certain area it will retard the timing for that area which will change the VE for the same area as well.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:04 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

That's why it's a little ironic that the SESPT pulls 4 degrees of timing from the tables when you push the smartune button.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:48 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
That's why it's a little ironic that the SESPT pulls 4 degrees of timing from the tables when you push the smartune button.
Yes it is, I always thought that was strange as well.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
I recommend just letting smarttune do it's thing. (accept the canges). The o2 sensors are narrow band, so if the bike is running out of the scope of the o2 sensors in a certain area it will make more of a drastic attempt to get it close so it can dial it in. That is the reason it takes multiple smarttune runs to get the VE tables where they need to be. to answer your question, YES you can get VERY good results accepting all the smarttune changes.
thanks for the reply, I will patiently continue. I thought I was getting close with my VE tables because most of my cells were changing less than 1%, especially all of the cells in the range that I usually ride in, but then I did a run yesterday and I was surprised when some of cells I have tuned multiple times changed more than that.

I find the hardest part is getting the data for the higher throttle position/rpm cells safely without a dyno.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:26 AM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
Yes you should always turn off knock control when tuning a bike. If the bike detects knock in a certain area it will retard the timing for that area which will change the VE for the same area as well.
Ah...so now when I "tune", I should see VE numbers staying fairly close after 3 to 4 runs? I had never checked the 'turn off knock control'.
As a side note, I did a run yersterday. I put the VCI in the back saddle bag on a rolled up cloth for a cushion. When I was done, I went to push the red button and it was steady red!. After downloading I summized that the VCI bounced around enough in the saddle bag it pressed the red button off an on 4 times. Lesson= make sure vci is a bit more secure!

Old 04-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Mich
Road Master

I found mounting/carrying the VCI could be a pain so what I do now on my Iron is use a piece of velcro that wraps around the VCI and I use that to attatch it to the side of my swingarm. It works well with the way the cord comes out of my side panel and it stays in place very well and stays clear of getting accidently bumped.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:14 AM
jaybull
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mich
I found mounting/carrying the VCI could be a pain so what I do now on my Iron is use a piece of velcro that wraps around the VCI and I use that to attatch it to the side of my swingarm. It works well with the way the cord comes out of my side panel and it stays in place very well and stays clear of getting accidently bumped.
Or just put a peice of tape over button. Thats what i do.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:35 PM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did the velcro thing...nice.
So today were my first runs with 'Knock Control' disabled.
Lots of pop and gurlge, but I expected that with no knock and 14.6 in most of the afr table.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Mich
Road Master

For the money you pay for the SEPST it should come with a velcro strap! I think it was designed to mount to the swingarm.

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread