Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mich
I am interested in checking out AFR tables for 1200-1250 sportsters. If people could post up the AFR tables they are running, it would be greatly appreciated!

I am pretty much done modifying my VE tables and want to start on my AFR. I have richened it up some and made the closed loop area a lot smaller but it still seems a little rough to me at slower speeds.
Describe "rough". Slow speeds, like low RPMs bucking and surging?

Do you have good VE data in the lower RPM range?

Old 04-04-2012, 05:35 PM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Grillfish
Once my VEs were all good, I used harleytuner's target AFR map he posted, then modified it as needed (i.e. to cure decel poping, etc..). Still a nice close loop cruise range, then gradual movement richer in open loop.

I know the ECM uses surounding VE data and not a single VE cell to calculate required fuel, but maybe Wiz, Lonewolf or harleytuner can explain if the ECM also uses surrounding target AFR data or a single cell to come up with the target AFR.

Heck, things happen so fast in the ECM, I just try to ensure all my tables in my maps are nice and smooth with no big jumps. Again, this is an art and a science

Just my 3 cents...
Agreed, art and science. I do however have a saved map that was made by harley dealer ship when they dynotuned my bike. When my VE tables are close after a few more runs, I will save a new map with the AFR tables from that dealer tune and go from there

Old 04-04-2012, 08:12 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by paud
Agreed, art and science. I do however have a saved map that was made by harley dealer ship when they dynotuned my bike. When my VE tables are close after a few more runs, I will save a new map with the AFR tables from that dealer tune and go from there

I'm not sure what the dealer did on the AFR MAP you have, but you can run the one I posted earlier and you will be good to go, or send me a copy of your MAP after you get your VE tables where you want them and I can do your AFR tables for you. As far as setting the AFR from one column to the next, you can go from 14.6 to 13.0. I like to do it gradual though. IE 100% and 90% is 13, then 80% can be 13.6 and 60 can be 14.0. You get the point. If you are running in between (say 70%) the ECM will average the surrounding cells for you, in this case it would target 13.8. I hope that makes sence?

Old 04-04-2012, 11:38 PM
paud
Road Master

here is the dealer tuned Afr

Attached Thumbnails SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread-afr.jpg  

Last edited by paud; 04-04-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:03 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by paud
here is the dealer tuned Afr
I wouldn't use that one, get your VE's dialed in and give mine a try. The dealer one you have has closed loop on way to long. I think if you try mine you will be happy. Closed loop only helps in the areas you cruise at.
Here it is again so you don't have to search for it.

Attached Thumbnails SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread-modified-20afr.jpg  
Old 04-05-2012, 06:26 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
I wouldn't use that one, get your VE's dialed in and give mine a try. The dealer one you have has closed loop on way to long. I think if you try mine you will be happy. Closed loop only helps in the areas you cruise at.
Looks pretty close to the map I'm using. Only major difference is that I included 3000RPM in closed-loop because that's my cruising RPMs in 6th on highways.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

For you guys with lumpy cams at idle or throttle lag. Try this...

As the bike tunes your idle areas.. the "lump" will change as it changes the VE cells in your idle range. For the guys that want to keep your lumpy idle then take the idle area out of closed loop and change your VE's back to original in these areas. The ECM will not adjust the idle area anymore and you will retain your lumpy sound at idle. Just be sure when you blip the throttle you don't have black soot exhaust, it will be too rich.

If you pull your AFR or Lambda out of closed loop for everything lower than 2000 RPM's then you can increase your drive away response or "throttle lag". Shoot for a 13.2 or .889 Lambda range in these open loop areas and change your VE cells back to original in these areas after tuning. Going to a lower AFR/Lambda could cause you to load up during hot days so be mindful of this.

It's a theory I've been working on for a while. It works but it will not work on all cams or exhaust setups... Maybe worth a quick try though, easy to change it back.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:07 AM
tcuster
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thank you all

I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you all for all the posts all though it has taken me a week to read through them from start to finish. I have learned more here then I think I did from the information that was included with the software. I am currently attempting to tune my bike now. I do have a question though and here is a little back ground. 2011 road glide ultra 103 when purchased had v&h slip ons added and pro tuner and DYNO. I recently removed the slip ons and went with the V&H 2into1 pro pipe. Should I attempt to retune which I already have or just flash the original map from the dyno back on? or if I am going to smart tune should I flash the map that is suggested for my bike and start all over? Also when I enter into smart tune and out recording my bike seems to run like its got ***** but when I just flash the map without smart tune enabled it runs fine but has doesnt have the ***** like in smart tune is this normal? Also I uploaded the AF map that HARLEYTUNER provided when I was riding and felt that it was not pulling as hard as when smart tune was enabled. Yes sometimes I like to throttle my bike and accept the outcome! Any help would be great thanks to all

Last edited by tcuster; 04-05-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:39 PM
paud
Road Master
Default cruise

Originally Posted by harleytuner
Thanks. I will try it when VE's dialed in.
As far as cruising...is it ok to assume that cruise can happen in almost any gear depending on the speed and rpm's ?

Old 04-05-2012, 01:19 PM
sportyscoop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, i will look into purchasing the software and cables just to see where my AFR's are at and maybe use all the information I've gleaned from this thread and try a little fine "tuning".

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread