Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxster
Thanks for looking through and commenting. Sounds like that's broadly what's going on then.

If right, then this means that its not really 'tuning' that's happening, or not in the dyno sense. There is nothing going on to improve performance per se. Its just a matter of making what you have set in the AFR tables be reflected more accurately in the actual amount of fuel applied. But if you have ferked up in the AFR tables then there's nothing going on to correct this, in fact the process will just make this ferk-up more certain of being applied.

What I'm saying is that you have to be sure of the tune first and then a bit of Smart tuning will bed this in. If the tune is not good beforehand then Smart tune won't fix it.
In my mind, the system did what is was suposed to do, adjust the VEs based on the data gathered in the Smart tuned runs (i.e. or TTS using V-tuning). The key is then adjusting your target AFR table to what you like. Harlytuner provided a good target AFR table in this sticky that I used and adjusted as needed. Plus you can adjust many other items (decel elenament, etc...)

Again, w/ no tuner do you know what exactly your actual AFR output is unless you put it on the sniffer.

I can tell you, from the time I started Smart tuning, to now, with over 15 runs, my bike runs cooler, no ping (not even looking in the recordings), smooth as glass, feels more power and still get 42-45 MPG.

Can I gain more if I took it to a dyno, prob, but many folks have been helpful on this and other sites and I can now have a basic conversation, before I had no clue what "VE" was, what CLBs were or even what the tables looked liked. It's been fun.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Grillfish
In my mind, the system did what is was suposed to do, adjust the VEs based on the data gathered in the Smart tuned runs (i.e. or TTS using V-tuning). The key is then adjusting your target AFR table to what you like. Harlytuner provided a good target AFR table in this sticky that I used and adjusted as needed. Plus you can adjust many other items (decel elenament, etc...)

Again, w/ no tuner do you know what exactly your actual AFR output is unless you put it on the sniffer.

I can tell you, from the time I started Smart tuning, to now, with over 15 runs, my bike runs cooler, no ping (not even looking in the recordings), smooth as glass, feels more power and still get 42-45 MPG.

Can I gain more if I took it to a dyno, prob, but many folks have been helpful on this and other sites and I can now have a basic conversation, before I had no clue what "VE" was, what CLBs were or even what the tables looked liked. It's been fun.
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it. I've done several Smart tune sessions each time I have changed hardware and its run better each time.

But I just think some folks expect Smart tune to tune their bikes for them. If you have a good match between a Harley supplied map and your hardware and then run Smart tune it will fine tune that map for your particular bike. If, however, someone thinks you can put a SEPST on a bike and run Smart tune and the bike will tune itself then they are mistaken.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:01 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

A dyno tune is only as good as the person operating the dyno. Smarttune is only as good as the person interperating the data. If you ask me can a dyno tune improve a msarttune? My answer would be YES, if the tune is done properly. But I also think.know that a Smarttune can improve some of the dyno tuners tunes out there as well. It's all very subjective.

The main propblem I see with smarttune is this, you load a close base MAP in your bike and then go out and do your data collections runs, that's all fine and well, but remember this, when you are data collecting you are still riding a bike that is out of tune. If the base MAP you select is close it's not so bad, but if it's way off....that couls suck. I am a dyno tuner first and foremost, I believe in dyno tuning. Smarttune is a great tool, IMO, for people that have "more simple" builds, and/or people that don't have access to a good dyno shop.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:39 PM
WIHD55
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stupid Question™ on the accel table final setting for 160 degrees. Is that a time delay setting like Idle enrichment? Or does that final setting constantly affect acceleration above 160 degrees?

Old 03-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by WIHD55
Stupid Question™ on the accel table final setting for 160 degrees. Is that a time delay setting like Idle enrichment? Or does that final setting constantly affect acceleration above 160 degrees?
It 's a table that controls transitional fuel, similar to an accelerator pump on a carb. That setting is valid at 160 and higher temps. It will interpolate the value back to 144 if that value is different. It is active for milliseconds.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:40 PM
Dr. Vest
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I have a 2012 Deluxe as well as the Super Tuner Pro. I purchased the software and cable kit as well. I installed the software and ran the update.

The problem is that the tuner isn't automatically detecting the bike. When the bike is turned on, I'll hear the beep from the laptop letting me know something is connected. When I click in the software on the lighting bolt above motorcycle icon, it's nothing but blank spaces.

I've watched some videos on youtube and when others click on the lighting bolt icon, it typically reads the bike and automatically fills in the VIN / bike info.

Looking through the pre-installed maps, the newest maps are for 2011's. There are no maps for a 2012.

Is this common? Do I even make sense? I'd be willing to discuss over the phone if someone feels they could help resolve this issue.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:08 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You do have the bike's Run switch On, right? Also, the software is designed to work with Windows Vista and XP, I've had problems on a laptop with Windows 7 so always use my older Vista laptop for this. Worth also searching for "Tech Tips" in the Help file of the program, there's stuff in there to diagnose connection problems.

Having no new maps is common, they rarely provide updates, every couple of years or so if you are lucky.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:04 AM
kelsonhoff
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have a 2012 but had originally bought the software and such for my 2011. I had to get a new VCI with the new bike of course. I have a Windows 7 computer and it all works fine. I have found that the software doesnt all give me the "accept" / "decline" choice at the beginning. I have to shut is down and load it again. Without that accept of the conditions it doesnt work. Other than that with the ignition on and run switch on I have seen no issues recognizing a 2012 bike with a windows 7 computer.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

sometimes my software will not recognize my bike unless I do it in this order.

open up the smart tune software, connect cable from pc to bike, turn on bike ignition then turn on run switch. Works everytime.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:19 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

because it has happened before, I will mention. there are two plugs that fit the VCI cable end. one was found under the seat, another on the left side under cover. one unhappy camper had the same problem when the plug under seat was used.

other than that, VCI plugged into both bike and computer, bike ignition and kill switch on. running on windows 7 just fine

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread