Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

fuel management question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,141 Likes on 3,667 Posts
Default fuel management question.

Ok on my 07 FLHTC i first got the HD to richen my A/F mixture because it was giving me a code , so after that my gas mileage went from around 50mpg to 46-47mpg. I thought it was ok. Then i got the AC and pipes and a HD stage one download, bike rank better but so.so...mileage went to about 43-45 mpg. then i got a Fuelmoto premapped PCIII and bike runs great but my mileage went to 38-40 mpg...I would like to understand this a bit better and in all fairness i havent got another map from Jamie yet... they have worked with me on som minor issues...They are great to work with...Anyway. What i want to know is... When you install the PCIII does it eliminate all the stuff that HD did like the increase in A/F ratio and the Stage 1 download? the reason i ask that is my rear cylinder cut off still works and they installed this at the Stage 1 ...Could it be that my bike is running too rich even for the map Jamie gave me?... I don't quite understand all the workings of this PCIII ...does it bypass all the ECM of my bike or just parts of it...

Thank you for any explanation...

Old 01-16-2011, 01:15 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Ok on my 07 FLHTC i first got the HD to richen my A/F mixture because it was giving me a code , so after that my gas mileage went from around 50mpg to 46-47mpg. I thought it was ok. Then i got the AC and pipes and a HD stage one download, bike rank better but so.so...mileage went to about 43-45 mpg. then i got a Fuelmoto premapped PCIII and bike runs great but my mileage went to 38-40 mpg...I would like to understand this a bit better and in all fairness i havent got another map from Jamie yet... they have worked with me on som minor issues...They are great to work with...Anyway. What i want to know is... When you install the PCIII does it eliminate all the stuff that HD did like the increase in A/F ratio and the Stage 1 download? the reason i ask that is my rear cylinder cut off still works and they installed this at the Stage 1 ...Could it be that my bike is running too rich even for the map Jamie gave me?... I don't quite understand all the workings of this PCIII ...does it bypass all the ECM of my bike or just parts of it...

Thank you for any explanation...
The PC you got from Jamie will not change the download you got from HD. As far as the PC is concerned the bike is stock. Try telling Jamie that you already have a stage I DL on your bike and see if he has a more appropriate MAP. If not, you might want to add the autotune to it or take it back to the dealer and have them put your ECM back to stock. That dl would be free, but they might charge you a little labor for there time. Good luck.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

So could my bike be running way to rich and that would be screwing up my gas mileagte?

Old 01-16-2011, 07:31 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
So could my bike be running way to rich and that would be screwing up my gas mileagte?
Yes. When they put in your download it richened it up, then when you put on your PC with the MAP it was a MAP for a stock ECM bike, so the PC didn't know it had the download in it, so it richened it up more. I would get your ECM flashed back to stock and you should be all set, better performance and your mileage should improve.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:38 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Thank you.