Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Base 2006 Dyna Map

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 05:07 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 22,182 Likes on 7,677 Posts
Default Base 2006 Dyna Map

Okay here is a question to you HD Tech types or SERT experts: If I buy a SERT, can I hook it up before downloading and use the data logging function to get the readings of the factory fuel setting? I know I will not be able to get the map, but the data would be good to know before installing a SE AC and SE Slip Ons. That way once I put the parts on and downloaded the map for those upgrades I would be able to compare data

Appreciate any insight you smart folks gan provide.

-The Breeze

Old 10-01-2006, 05:41 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Base 2006 Dyna Map

Yes, you can do it that way.....

You are attempting to re-create the engine dynamics of the base programming, through the tuning of the SERT?

Old 10-01-2006, 06:48 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What type of data are you expecting to compare?

Old 10-01-2006, 11:30 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 22,182 Likes on 7,677 Posts

Well as I have not modified my 2006 FXDI and I know it runs good but on the lean side (no decel popping but very minor valve clatter uphill on accel if I do not have really good gas) It would give me a base starting point when I put the mods on. Example: It idles and cold starts real good so if I had a problem after mods and SERT download, I could look at the cold start and idle data to see how it was set with the stock A/C and pipe, then compare to the SERT and SE A/C and SE Slip-ons. As I learn about the FI it would be good to know the base Map data on a stock bike so I could make sure the mods and the SERT download were in the appropriate range and should I have an issue with popping or valve clatter I would know where to make it richer. Just a thought as I have learned over the years to not modify unless there is some improvement. You need to know from whence a stock bike came to know where you want to go with it. Over the years I have done many things to cars and bikes that made no improvements but cost me many $$ to learn that. Now if HD provided classes somewhere on FI and all this it might be good to take it and get my old brain in the right order. I live about 20 minutes from the York PA HD plant, it would be nice if they offered some night classes.

I guess what I would like to do is know the settings as they are now so if I make any mods I will know the areas the fuel ranges need to be changed once I do the mods. And if I understand correctly the orginal MAP (with data) is lost on upload from the SERT and if I want to say put the stock pipes back on I will have to fiddle around or have it run too rich.

I expect this is all old hat stuff to the folks that do this on a daily basis and as it is new to me I find a lot of questions that I need to learn about.

Thanks for the feedback, it looks like I can get the data while it is stock before I upload the SERT Map. Once the SERT is uploaded there does not seem to be any reason to go back to stock; however, the data would be useful to know what is going on during certain fuel phases.