Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Failed Idle Control Sensor ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 04:59 PM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Failed Idle Control Sensor ???

Want to share the experience/symptoms for reference.

07 FLHTCUSE2

Took a ride from Albuquerque to Ruidoso NM this week (Thu to Sat). It was the first ride over 75 miles without stops since purchase (09/01) and the weather was absolutely awesome (84 & sunny). As I pulled over to stop for lunch (Owl Cafe for those that have been in that area) the bike's rpm ran up to about 2k and then just shut off. "That was weird... Hmmm." Not wanting to stress over it just yet, I went in and had lunch - also figured if it was heat related I'd give it a chance to cool down first. No trouble codes or other system indications of a problem.

After an hour, went out and the bike kicked over and started but wouldn't idle without adding some throttle. Also noted an "exhaust smell" stronger than in the past... Nearest known maintenance was about 75 miles away so I figured I'd go ahead and ride it in. Ran fine on the ride in, but again as soon as I got into Ruidoso and pulled up to a stop light the motor shut down. Restarted bike, got into camp grounds, checked in came back out, restarted bike and it idled fine.... WTF!?!. HD shop closed, figured I'd catch them in the morning.

Got up Friday morning, started the bike and it idled and ran just fine. Rode around all day, many stops, no long stretches of road and it ran fine, but did catch a whiff of fumes once or twice. Defintely thinking it must be heat related - continued to get an occasional whiff of exhaust fumes. Figured since I was heading back to home territory Saturday morning that if I had additional issues I could call home dealer. Good thing the dealer's number is programmed into cell phone. Left Ruidoso and was pulling off highway in Socorro for fuel when engine shut down again... definitely happening after "long runs" (87 miles or so this time). Called dealer and after describing symptoms they said "have had similar issues with bikes that we've tuned, but nothing like that on a completely stock bike... can you bring it in?" Uh, yeah, that's the plan...

Anyway, rode it from Socorro to Santa Fe (129 miles) and as soon as I pulled off highway the motor died. Feathered the throttle all the way to the dealership and of course it died again as soon as I got into the garage area. They got to the bike about 45 minutes later and wouldn't you know it, it started and idled just fine (cooled off). When they did a diagnostic download it showed the Idle Control Sensor as having failed. Part not is stock, to be ordered and replaced this coming week. No sweat. So far so good. These guys have done good by me so far so I don't doubt them as such... BUT...

The heat/exhaust fumes issue bothers me. Is it possible that the heat of long runs is causing expansion of exhaust system components (hence the fumes) causing ECM to overcompensate somewhere else (RPM control, F/A ratio, etc)? Any thoughts? I hate the idea of picking up the scoot next week only to have to bring it back a few days later because they only fixed a symptom and not the root problem.

Old 10-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Failed Idle Control Sensor ???

Part of that strange smell you indicated is the Catalytic convertor doing it's conversion to H2o.....

Have the shop check out the MAP sensor as well, and confirm that it is functioning correctly.....

Have seen where the MAP sensor fails and the ECM uses the other sensors to mask and adapt the required parameters to another sensor....

Situation reared it's head when I had a similar code, went to validate it, and drew another code (Faulty ECM Internal Grounds)....

Long story short, called Tech support as I was getting nowhere, and was told to swap out a known good MAP for the one installed....

Viola, and no trouble since.... Very wierd though....

And this was on an 06 Dyna, same ECM as your 07......

Old 10-02-2006, 12:51 AM
lenrough
Road Master

Thanks Shovel! [sm=goodidea.gif] Will definitely relay your suggestion.

Guess it's going to take a while getting used to "emission systems" on a Harley. Oh the hell it is... Rinehart True Duals are on order.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:13 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: lenrough

Thanks Shovel! [sm=goodidea.gif] Will definitely relay your suggestion.

Guess it's going to take a while getting used to "emission systems" on a Harley. Oh the hell it is... Rinehart True Duals are on order.

You are going to keep the o2's, right?

Or are you planning on running a PC with o2 Eliminators????

Old 10-02-2006, 01:42 AM
lenrough
Road Master

Keepin' the 02 sensors... understand and appreciate the need for them with the ECM. And living and riding at 5200 ft and above, there is absolutely no reason to not have EFI - haven't changed a main jet in 6 years!!!. It's those catalytic converters that I'm not sure I'm willing to "get used to".

The True Duals w/02 Sensor ports are on order, the SE Stage 1 A/C is also on order (they're telling me this item is the single hottest thing being ordered for the 07s and most likely longest lead time to get in) and of course I've got the SERT coming.