Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Ignition problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 11:28 PM
jad
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ignition problem

This is a question for a friend of mine.

He has a 2008 Ultra that shuts off at random. He’ll be riding alone and the bike will shut off. All he does to restart it is pull in the clutch and hit the start button. It’s done it in all types of weather, hot and dry to cool and wet. He’s had it in for warranty several times and they tell him there are no codes. One shop replaced the ignition switch however this didn’t help. When it first did it he would coast to the side shut off the ignition and then restart it. Later on he found he didn’t need to shut it off, it just restarts by pushing the start button. Here’s the real pisser. It’s now off warranty and the dealer is telling him things they could try but it would cost him. I told him to see a layer. He thinks he might get them to respond because he had it in several times for the same problem and they never fixed it. Any ideas?

Old 01-09-2011, 06:50 AM
ultraclassic03
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the main circuit breaker. Post could be broken inside breaker causing it to heat up.
I had this problem and bike would shut off without any codes. Usually bike would run fine until thinbgs heated up after riding. That is when mine started acting up.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto on the Maxi fuse, but if that does not work I would call HD before getting a lawyer involved. If there are service records for the problem when it was under warranty they will likely cover it. I don't see how they could not warranty it.