Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuse Block Mess - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:59 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

An almost happy ending. I ordered the female terminal buss I mentioned above and that should be in next week. No big deal since it's not exactly riding season and I have other stuff going on.

I picked up a hobby knife, which is what I should have done in the first place. From there I was able to insert the knife in the front of the fuse block and lift up on a tang securing each terminal. The the larger gauge wires came right out the back with the terminal still intact and reusable. The smaller gauge wires were in there securely. I figured these wires might be fixed to the bridge itself.

I sprayed some WD-40 to clean up any corrosion on the front and back of the fuse block. I lifted each tang and gently tugged on the remaining two wires. At first nothing, but then both wires released with the remainder of the terminal buss attached. I clipped the wires off the bridge and now I'm ready to put everything back together.

Lessons learned from this dumbass mistake:

Each terminal buss has five fixed terminals for the smaller gauge wires. Larger gauge wires have a terminal crimped on so they can snap right into the back of the fuse box. For this fuse block the "J" column on the block is unused so when installing a new terminal buss, the furthest right terminal can be removed from the buss.

Had I done this correctly, I could have used my hobby knife to lift the tang on the orange/black radio wire, back it out of the fuse block, snip of the terminal, and then crimp my radio wire and amp switched power wire to a single replacement terminal. Snap it back in and project over.

I hope this post and confession of stupidity helps someone out in the future. I guess I can't have too much self pity. The mistake cost me less than $10.

Attached Thumbnails Fuse Block Mess - Need Help-fuse-buss-hdf1.jpg   Fuse Block Mess - Need Help-buss-removed-hdf.jpg   Fuse Block Mess - Need Help-buss-removed-on-table-hdf.jpg