Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

EFI Tuner Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default EFI Tuner Question

Something I have wondered about for awhile.

A lot of todays tuners can give you the value of the Volumetric Efficency of the engine as it is running. Examples are TTS Mastertuner, SEST, and I think PC-V and Thundermax, and more I guess.
They get these values using the O2 sensors as these things feed back to the ECM to give the desired AFR.

Now The Question.

Why couldn't the, "Spark Retart System", which is computer controlled and kind of a feed back system, be used to reconfigure the timing tables to give best Spark???

Seems to me the necessary Data is there in real time just like the O2 Data.

Move the timing up or down in small amounts till just right, then maybe a 1-2% cut back and timing is perfect.

Just musing about.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:23 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

It could be done.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

Sure save a lot of---Interporlation Time.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

It definately shows you when the knock retard is kicking in or not (signals you to do some adjusting).

Old 12-30-2010, 01:04 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been pushing my timing map ahead a few degrees at a time, doing data runs, and either dropping a degree of timing or adding fuel or both in the areas where knock is detected. Once a cell is at 45 degrees I don't push that one any further.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

Thats the thing.
I love to ride but a "Data" run is tedious and not much fun. After awhile.
I guess ,"They", are holding that in their pockets for later.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:55 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've red that "they" think VE calibration and timing calibration is like comparing apples and oranges. Apparently a simple or practical way to get timing right is not currently available. I hear advancing the timing to the point of knocking is the amateur thing to do, but not necessary the right thing.

I don't think "they" are holding back unless its a liability thing... not wanting the motor to go pop.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:01 PM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

The spark retard system(ion sensing) can only sense when there is a problem(pinging) and pull timing as a precaution. It can't sense without what timing is good for the motor though. Advancing til you hear a ping is old school and doenst alway make the best power. Better mileage and power can be had with less timing in some areas as well. Equipment to accurately tune the timing can cost 10 of thousands.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by BAGGERDSM
The spark retard system(ion sensing) can only sense when there is a problem(pinging) and pull timing as a precaution. It can't sense without what timing is good for the motor though. Advancing til you hear a ping is old school and doenst alway make the best power. Better mileage and power can be had with less timing in some areas as well. Equipment to accurately tune the timing can cost 10 of thousands.
Well said.

Dyno with a break can recreate riding conditions, as well as measure the power for comparison. Measure your AFR as well.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

"They" can make the software so this... with only one little bity issue... The spark adjustment can only go one way. Down. Although it is a neat idea and one that has been asked of TTS for some time now there is just no real way of using the system to create a good spark table for your bike.

As stated above, the best way is on a dyno and tune your spark curve live via the power band observations. This takes a lot of time and experience to do right.

Quick Reply: EFI Tuner Question