Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

How does a Power Commander Work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006 | 10:49 AM
cutacroshorty
|
Road Master
Default How does a Power Commander Work?

I've got 11,000 miles on my '03 Ultra Classic. It gets great fuel mileage at 50 MPG but I've got a feeling it is running extremely lean. I don't mind sacrificing a little bit of fuel mileage if the Power Commander will help the bike not run so lean.

I hear everyone talking about the Power Commander but I don't know anything about how it works, what it cost and is the Power Commander set up so that the owner can make needed adjustments?

Please explain how it works and how to make needed adjustments.

Old 09-29-2006 | 11:20 AM
glide
Road Warrior
Default RE: How does a Power Commander Work?

It basically works by picking up the signals from the ECU and modifying them as you set the unit up to do and it is mounted downstream of the ECU. It changes the signals that the ECU sends out depending on how you set the map up. Maps are available from the power commander web page for the basic set ups and from there you hook up to your PC and alter the map to what you need for your combination .

Old 09-29-2006 | 01:48 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

The really nice thing about the PC is that it is the most user friendly tuning device out there. You can set it up yourself in less than an hour from new in box to installed. If you have some hot mods on your bike you can take it to a good dyno tuner who can then fine tune your downloaded map just for your bike and even adjust your timing/fuel for each cylinder individually. You can also up your rev limit from a stock 5800 to 6200. Another interesting thing is that the stock 5800 rev limit actually starts pulling timing out at 5200. This means that when you up the rev limit to 6200, you make plenty more power between 5200 and 5800 just because your engine is getting what it really needs at that RPM. The factory did this to limit power (warranty saver). In other words....even though you might not ever turn your motor all the way to 6200, it's worth it for the power gains between 5200 and 5800.
Another realluy nice thing about the PC is that you can actually pull your seat off before a long road trip, hit the mid and top buttons down a couple notches (leaning it out a little in the mid and high range) and get better mileage on your trip. When you get there, readjust and rip around.
I just read a great article that explains the pros and cons of many of the tuners out there in the Sep issue of American Iron Magazine. It starts on page 40 and is extremely informative. Really a must read before you spend your money. I am a nut when it comes to spending my money on stuff and I refuse to buy things blindly.
Good luck, I hope this helps.

Old 09-29-2006 | 03:40 PM
cutacroshorty
|
Road Master

I'm really not looking for a lot of performance improvements I only want to richen the fuel mixture a little to get it out of the lean running condition it's in now. My '03 Ultra Classic has never seen more than 3500 RPM's and really don't need a lot of top-end performance.
There is an ever so slight and almost indistinguishable miss at 3,000 RPM's and I would bet it's because of the lean condition.

I noticed on my return trip from Colorado that my bike doesn't have much power climbing the slightest incline in high gear. This ma be normal, I just don't have a lot of experience with Harley's yet but I am confident that it needs a little more fuel.

Old 09-29-2006 | 07:42 PM
glide
Road Warrior

From what you say, the TFI unit would do you well. It's about as simple a hook up and tune as it can get. There are many on the road and it works well for what you are looking to do. The tech support if you need it is second to none. Here's a video of the installation to show you how simple it is to install http://www.dobeckperformance.com/video/georgeisode.asf

http://www.dobeckperformance.com/

Old 09-29-2006 | 08:08 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: cutacroshorty

I noticed on my return trip from Colorado that my bike doesn't have much power climbing the slightest incline in high gear. This ma be normal, I just don't have a lot of experience with Harley's yet but I am confident that it needs a little more fuel.
This is why I went with Stage 1 and am now going to do a cam change. I don't care about raped ape speed or big bore, but most of my trips other than local errands and work are two up with wife and I and I notice inclines and getting through intersections from a stop were suffering. Much better now with the Stage 1

Old 09-29-2006 | 09:11 PM
cutacroshorty
|
Road Master

I failed to mention that my '03 ULtra Classic also has a Stage 1 intake on it. Does that affect being able to use the TFI system?

Old 09-29-2006 | 10:09 PM
glide
Road Warrior

I failed to mention that my '03 ULtra Classic also has a Stage 1 intake on it. Does that affect being able to use the TFI system?
Not at all, the settings on the TFI will just be lower than if you had a stock download in the ECM. You need less fuel added with the stage one because the ECM has been upgraded with the addition of the air cleaner.

Old 09-30-2006 | 01:50 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

I've got 11,000 miles on my '03 Ultra Classic. It gets great fuel mileage at 50 MPG but I've got a feeling it is running extremely lean. I don't mind sacrificing a little bit of fuel mileage if the Power Commander will help the bike not run so lean.

I hear everyone talking about the Power Commander but I don't know anything about how it works, what it cost and is the Power Commander set up so that the owner can make needed adjustments?

Please explain how it works and how to make needed adjustments.
You can use the SERT to tune the computer that is already in your motorcycle. It has a diagnostic mode that will record events as you ride the MC to see what the engine is doing. Then you can adjust the map as needed and flash that map into the MC's ECU.

The SERT does not stay on the MC. It is simply a device to connect the computer program to the ECU and download the modified map to the ECU..

I bought the SERT.