Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

02 Dyna WG Ignition problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Proudtexan
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Dyna WG Ignition problem

We have an 02 Dyna Wide Glide with an ignition problem and are at wits end. We are not getting fire to the spark plugs. It's a stock set up, other than the Screaming Eagle Ignition module that was just installed. We've changed the plugs, leads, changed ignition coils from a running bike, and just finished installing the new ignition module. All this while we have never gotten any trouble codes from the system. Is there anyone out there that has ever had this type of problem. We know we're getting fuel, just used a spark plug tester and no fire at all to the plugs. Tested our Softail and the tester lights right up. Looking for any and all suggestions, please let me have them!

Smitty

Old 12-27-2010, 01:25 PM
snip0721
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

swap back to the stock icm. see if that gets you spark. steve

Old 12-28-2010, 10:23 PM
Proudtexan
Novice

We replaced the original IM because of no spark, so I don't see going back will help. Rereading my original post I can see how that might help, I thought I was more clear about that, sorry. Straight stock setup, bike started loosing power and then just never would start again. In order of replacement, plugs, wires, swapped coil onto the softail and it fired right up and ran all day, then to the IM. Anyone ever have to change a crank position sensor for this? That looks like the only other thing it could be? Like I said to start out with, at wits end!

Thanks again,
Smitty

Old 12-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Proudtexan
Novice

Woowhoo!!! Crank position sensor was the culprit, well actually a lazy tech at a Harley shop in Phoenix was. We had some work done while out there earlier this year and found the wiring harness was not routed correctly past the crossover and burned through the harness. Replaced the sensor, routed the harness correctly and bam, she fired right up, what a sweet sound it was too!

Smitty