Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Stage 1 Download

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:41 PM
oldlawman
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1 Download

I hope I am in the right area for this question, if not, I apologize. On my 2010 FLSTC, I have installed V&H staggered slip ons, SE intake and Xied. I am getting both yes and no's to the question: should I have the stage 1 remap done? I'm so confused and pretty much broke, so if not necessary or a waste of money, please advise.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:14 AM
Jackie999
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oldlawman
I have the stage 1 remap done? I'm so confused and pretty much broke, so if not necessary or a waste of money, please advise.
I would not. In my opinion both the canned factory downloads and Xieds are weak. If your low on funds and want to get the job done fast and easy, I would take the xieds out (put it back to factory) and install a TFI (Dobeck performance) piggy-back fuel controller. It will fatten up the A/F ratio across the board and is something you can do yourself without dyno time. Not complicated to adjust & great support after the sale. Your going to get a lot of opinions on this subject but I think for the money you can't go wrong. And if your a Veteran I believe you may get a small discount.
Because it increases the pulse width of the injectors across the board regardless of map pressure, your gas mileage will decrease.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:09 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can use what you've got. Most people go with a decent fuel management system to richen your AFR to optimal levels. There are many good systems out there. You can get a Power Commander V from www.fuelmotousa.com. He's a sponsor here and has many happy customers. It'll run you right at 300.00, but he'll pre-program it for your specific set-up and you won't have to worry about a dyno afterwards.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:38 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The download will correct your VE tables and tweak the timing a bit. This will mostly affect open loop areas. XIEDs will only affect closed loop areas.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:17 AM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackie999
I would not. In my opinion both the canned factory downloads and Xieds are weak. If your low on funds and want to get the job done fast and easy, I would take the xieds out (put it back to factory) and install a TFI (Dobeck performance) piggy-back fuel controller. It will fatten up the A/F ratio across the board and is something you can do yourself without dyno time. Not complicated to adjust & great support after the sale. Your going to get a lot of opinions on this subject but I think for the money you can't go wrong. And if your a Veteran I believe you may get a small discount.
Because it increases the pulse width of the injectors across the board regardless of map pressure, your gas mileage will decrease.
I agree with Jackie.

No need to get the stage 1 download. It only adds a small amount of fuel and will still be on the lean side anyway. The vets get a rather large discount on the TFI from Dobeck.

http://www.dobeckperformance.com/

Last edited by peppi; 12-16-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:09 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just ride and have fun. No need to fret.. If you are not happy with the ride, then perhaps something can be done, and that depends on what you want. The XIEDs do what nightrider says they will do and they do affect closed loop operation a bit because the ECU uses the adjustments/learned values from closed loop operation in the open loop areas too. Not the best you can do, certainly, but much better than nuttin.. The HD down load is a waste of $$$.

Just ride the bike, there is absolutely no need to fret. Lots of salesmen on this board suggesting fancy systems that separate you from your cash.. If you think you want one, be sure to do some research. A poor tool for you is still a poor tool, regardless of discounts..

Last edited by ColdCase; 12-16-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:48 PM
oldlawman
6th Gear

I want to thank everyone who replied to my post. I believe I will forget the download and just go with what I have for awhile. Thanks again.