Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS - Dyna in Overheat mode

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 08:19 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default TTS - Dyna in Overheat mode

2010 FXDC
Samson Powerflow II
AN stage 1 filter kit

When I first installed the air filter I loaded in AE176 and bumped the CLB to 625 as recommended by TTS, it seemed to run ok with just a little bit of decel popping, but there are/were a couple small issues.

_First of all the 6th gear indicator stopped working unless I make the shift and maintain a load (eg: stay hard on the throttle).

- If left to idle for much more than 5 minutes (60 degree day) it would go into overheat mode which I'm told Dyna models have shut off by default with the factory ECM setting whereas the TTS is by default on - so should this be shut off and if so how do I do that?

After a few rides someone noticed that the collector area of the pipe (chrome) was slightly yellow indicating its running too lean. I have since changed the map to CAA176 but with the weather I have not had a chance to run it yet nor have I had the chance to do any data runs - that will probably have to wait till spring
Any thoughts?

Old 12-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by p51bombay
2010 FXDC
Samson Powerflow II
AN stage 1 filter kit

When I first installed the air filter I loaded in AE176 and bumped the CLB to 625 as recommended by TTS, it seemed to run ok with just a little bit of decel popping, but there are/were a couple small issues. TTS doesn't recommend any particular setting. Just a low and high range.

_First of all the 6th gear indicator stopped working unless I make the shift and maintain a load (eg: stay hard on the throttle). If you read the manual or the service bullentin you will see that some dyna's and some softails will lose 6th hear light. You must change your primary gear ratio in the tuning constants from 1.353 to 1.330.

- If left to idle for much more than 5 minutes (60 degree day) it would go into overheat mode which I'm told Dyna models have shut off by default with the factory ECM setting whereas the TTS is by default on - so should this be shut off and if so how do I do that? No, don't shut it off. There are tricks to assist the EITMS from kicking in.

After a few rides someone noticed that the collector area of the pipe (chrome) was slightly yellow indicating its running too lean. I have since changed the map to CAA176 but with the weather I have not had a chance to run it yet nor have I had the chance to do any data runs - that will probably have to wait till spring
Any thoughts?

In blue above.

Until you VTune your bike you may find some popping and other issues. If you change your CLB's you change your VE's as well.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:51 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Think about shut off EITMS if you have some problems with stalling, otherwise it doesn't hurt. Some fiddle with idle timing to run a bit cooler at idle. You can blip the throttle to disengage. There is a tab in ECM tuning constants screen to disable or enable EITMS, same place you set max rpm and PE modes..

Once you run some VTunes, your other issues should disappear. The base map is a good compromise, but every bike is a little different.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:16 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Something else to consider...

1. Doesn't matter if it is 60* outside, you shouldn't leave your bike at idle for 5 minutes. It's air cooled not ambient cooled.

2. EITMS is a safety feature. It's not that big of a deal to turn it off but there is no need to turn it off if your bike is properly tuned and you don't let it idle at rest for long periods at a time. If you do turn it off and walk away then forget and comeback to a damaged motor... well... why not just leave it turned on before the ECM will "kill" the motor due to excessive heat. It could buy you some precious time.

3. You can help the EITMS from kicking in by simply adjusting the Accel Enrichment tables from 112* to 160* by incrementing 20%. This will help during hot weather or parade riding but it will not help at idle.

-wiz

Old 12-28-2010, 02:13 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the tips everyone - 6th gear light now works. I still have not had the time or decent weather to do a vtune, I tried going to the CAA176 and squeezed in a short ride - sounded strange at first and seem to have more vibration but then again I hadn't ridden it in a month. It does sound strange on decal, still a tiny bit of popping. There's a rde on the first I want to go on before installing new wheels and brakes so if I go back to the AE176 what can I do to fatten that map up - I previously had the CLB set to 622 - this was the map that was giving me yellowing in the collector.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by p51bombay
Thanks for the tips everyone - 6th gear light now works. I still have not had the time or decent weather to do a vtune, I tried going to the CAA176 and squeezed in a short ride - sounded strange at first and seem to have more vibration but then again I hadn't ridden it in a month. It does sound strange on decal, still a tiny bit of popping. There's a rde on the first I want to go on before installing new wheels and brakes so if I go back to the AE176 what can I do to fatten that map up - I previously had the CLB set to 622 - this was the map that was giving me yellowing in the collector.
PM Sent