Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Here we go again...Fuelpak, pcIII, SERT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 03:19 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Here we go again...Fuelpak, pcIII, SERT?

So I have an 02 Fatboy with a stage one harley download, screamin eagle a/c, and V&H side shot pipes. I get bit of popping on deceleration as do many people. I have been reading different posts regarding this issue, and have not been able to decide what to do. Some people get rid of popping with spark plugs, others with these tuners....and the story goes on. I want to have my bike tuned to the best possible tuning that it can have, and am considering a V&H fuel pak, since I have v&h pipes. My question is are the v&h settings on the website say for tuning without a factory download? So if I get this should I just play around with the settings until they are good? Should I go for the pcIII instead? Or the sert? Any advice regarding this matter would be appreciated. I have a friend who is a wrench at the local dealer and told me not to worry about, but I need more opinions. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:31 PM
CycleDrider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Here we go again...Fuelpak, pcIII, SERT?

Typically you can get away with using one of the pot fuel controllers DFO or fuelpak for your issue. The sert or PC III ( IMHO) are used for mods above the basic exuast and air filter upgrades. Its your call they both will work, the latter will get you more flexibilty if you decide to do more upgrades down the line.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:43 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

I have the Fuelpak and it does work well for V&H pipes. I have read posts here about other pipes and Fuelpak issues so I would stay away from it with other pipes. It offers two different maps based on whether you have the Stage 1 download from a dealer or if you are still running stock ECM without any download. I have not seen any posts on this forum where folks with the Fuelpak have went from either the Stage 1 download back to stock or vice versa to counter any problems with the Fuelpak. I intend on doing some cam work in the near future and the Fuelpak will not support that so I will most likely go with the PCIII when the time comes. The Fuelpak works extremely well for me and the only popping that I have ever had was from some minor exhaust leaks (loose muffler) that I have fixed. You also cannot tweak the Fuelpak in a dynotune (well I suppose you could attempt to play around with the settings) but you can get a baseline dyno run to see how close V&H came with it. They advised me that there is no need to tune it as that is what they have done when they created the maps.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:28 AM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, the fuel pack or DFO "might" work to get rid of your problem but the SERT or the pcIII "will "get rid of it and you have a whole bunch more flexibility in tuning and with the SERT there is no add on electronics. Spend the 150 to 200 for a maybe or 350.00 for a fix. Just my opinion.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:57 AM
cyclepaintmetal
Advanced

My experience w/ the SERT & pc3usb is that to remove popping on decel , the SERT is far & away the superior product. When using the PC3 to remove "popping" on decel you end up w/ a bike that feels like the ignition been shut off when you close the throttle. That is not what I consider fixing the problem. While the SERT can make the popping a thing of the past & not create the same situation as the PC3.

Old 10-02-2006, 03:57 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Price of PCIII from FuelMoto custom programmed to your bike vs Fuelpak just makes sense to get the PCIII.

I have no experience with either, but will probably be buying the PC because I don't want to pay for Dyno tunes. I am not looking for every last HP, just decent fuel economy and no more popping.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:18 PM
cyclepaintmetal
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Price of PCIII from FuelMoto custom programmed to your bike vs Fuelpak just makes sense to get the PCIII.

I have no experience with either, but will probably be buying the PC because I don't want to pay for Dyno tunes. I am not looking for every last HP, just decent fuel economy and no more popping.

"My experience w/ the SERT & pc3usb is that to remove popping on decel , the SERT is far & away the superior product. When using the PC3 to remove "popping" on decel you end up w/ a bike that feels like the ignition been shut off when you close the throttle. That is not what I consider fixing the problem. While the SERT can make the popping a thing of the past & not create the same situation as the PC3. "

The statement above was made due to me having "significant" experience w/ the above mentioned EFI tuning devices & a multitude of other less capable tuning devices. If your bike is popping the best piece is the SERT. It can be set-up by a qualified Tuner & your bike won't "pop" anymore. Additionally, you will not have any adverse side effects similar to the ones I have discribed above. What you will have is a ride much better than Harley could never deliver from the Factory due to their EPA restrictions.

With that, I just want to state that I have no interest in the Motor Co. I'm not a dealer, or a HD mechanic, don't even own any shares of HOG.
Just trying to help my fellow riders to make an educated choice, instead of just going w/ 1 or the other because 1's cheaper than the other so on , so on.
One more thing, no matter which EFI tuning device you go with make sure it's set-up by a knowledgable Tuner. Or chances are you'll be an unhappy camper!