Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Speedometer/Odometer No Worky-Almost There

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Jkid
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speedometer/Odometer No Worky-Almost There

Hi all - Nice forum!

My speedometer and odometer stopped working some time ago. When I turn on the ignition: the speedo lights come on, and the needle moves a very little bit (twitches) and that's it. My turn signals no longer cancel out either. I started out by replacing the speedometer because it got cracked falling off my trailer (oops!) and figured that was the cause - Nope. So I did some searching on this forum and tried cleaning the speed sensor and checking the battery voltage (14.1 volts at idle). Still nothing. The bike was stored in a barn for a year and got a bit of corrosion on it - so I cleaned all of the electrical connections I could find (that got my neutral light working again), but still no luck. The start-up diagnostic says d02 is set, which I believe is: "Speed sensor power output shortened high or open". Before I buy one - does this mean my speed sensor is faulty, or maybe the cable. Do I have a short somewhere? - are there any likely locations? This is on an 03 Dyna SuperGlide. Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
Grah Edward (11-07-2020)
Old 09-24-2006, 11:08 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Speedometer/Odometer No Worky-Almost There

if your speedo and turn signal self canceling don't work the speed sensor is defective.

Old 09-25-2006, 09:55 AM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to go with the speed sensor also, they cost around $50 and usually don't respond well to cleaning.

Old 09-25-2006, 01:21 PM
Jkid
Stage III

Okay, Thanks. I did have a pretty good coating of metal files on the sensor. I can see how it wouldn't be able to sense the gear with it covered in metal, it seems like cleaning it off would do the trick though - it looks like a fairly simple device. I can see why that would keep the speedo / odo from working when riding. I'm really curious why the speedometer needle does not spin fully clockwise and back to zero when the ignition is turned on (during the diagnostic check). Maybe that confirms it has found a fault (speed sensor) and not that it just can't read the tranny gear when moving??

Old 12-25-2006, 03:39 PM
wildside41
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all, I have a 01 police electroglide and have a chance to replace my defect speed sensor with one I found with a good price. The sensor im looking at is part number 74430-00D. Its for a soft tail duece. Will this work on mine?

Old 12-25-2006, 07:38 PM
jandlcars
Extreme HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull Speedo Sensor And Clean The Small Amount OfMetal Off Do not Use BRAKE KEEEN Or other Chemicals Wipe off with a rag
Brake Kleen Will RewinitPut it Back In It Is A AC Pulse Generator Sends Signal To Speedo Also Is The Milage Counter For Canceling Turn Signals

Old 05-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Jkid
Stage III

Well, I finally got a new speed sensor. That did the trick - it works fine now. Although, the speedometer needle still does not sweep fullywhen you turn on the ignition. It only twitches a little bit when running the diagnostics. Oh well...