Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

advice needed. TTS or SERT

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 04:43 AM
Daehawc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice needed. TTS or SERT

I apologize if this may be answered in another thread. I am deployed and with the limited internet ability scrubbing the threads is difficult. My 08 Street Bob is at the dealer right now getting a 103" kit, 254e cams, and some powder coating done while I'm away. Currently I am running the Thundermax Autotune but was suggested by a friend to get the TTS Mastertune when doing the engine build. I purchased one and had it dropped off at the dealer for them to install while doing the work.

While talking to the parts guy the other day, he mentioned that the mechanic "didn't like the TTS, and was wondering if I was sold on it." I honestly dont know much about the system, I bought it strictly from word of mouth and never had much time to research it.

How hard should it be for the dealer to install the TTS with no prior knowledge of it. Can they or should they run the TTS on their dyno? What does the TTS give me that I wouldnt get from the HD SERT which the dealer is much more familiar with?

Thanks for the help and time gents.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:46 AM
Daehawc
Tourer

follow up, i guess i've been away for a little bit to long. is there a difference between the sert and the sest? Last time I was looking at HD offerings it was the screaming eagle race tuner.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:21 AM
jkelley
Tourer

I run the TTS and have been very happy with the installs I have done.
To each his own but the TTS is a good tuner. Lot's of support on forums.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:55 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The TTS like the SESTP is a system consisting of software and a hardware interface. This is a tool that allows Engine data to be monitored and ECM values such as AFR, Timing, VE Tables and other factors to be modified.

These devices are not really "installed" on the bike such a Fuel Pak or Power Commander. They are only attached to the bike when used for data gathering/monitoring or uploading a calibration. They are however "Marrried" to the ECM when initially attached so that that particular VCI can only be used to program that particular ECM.

Likely your experience is that the Tuner in question, since I take it your bke is at the HD dealer simply has no training or experience with the TTS. Since this is an HD dealer it is a fair assumption that the tuners would be trained and experienced using the HD products.

It is my opinion that given the lack of experience/training with the TTS the dealer will want to sell you a SESTP and will do nothing but upload a calibration that closely matches your configuration, and use the dyno to Smart Tune to correct your VE tables. You will end up paying for dyno time and get nothing that you couldn't do your self.

IMHO, you should just skip the tuning portion at the dealer and use the TTS when you get home to upload the proper calibration and then VTune to correct your VE tables. The bike will be ridable and you can search for a performance tuner that is familiar with the TTS.

You can go to the TTS web site and download the TTS manual so you read and understand the process if our internet connection permits.

Be careful and come home better than you went.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:55 AM
Daehawc
Tourer

I know there is a ton of info on here about the TTS, I just have a hard time accessing it from Afghanistan. Main questions are, How hard will it be for the dealer to install it? Will they be able to complete the 103 build with 254e cams with the TTS and no dyno run? Will the bike run properly until I get a chance to load the software and plug my computer into it to refine the map? If I do not plan any future mods, is there a benefit over having them use one of the HD tuners (which one is best?) and map it for me while I'm gone?

If its all about the same, I'd just have them do what they are familiar with and sell of the unused TTS. IF the TTS does the same job better and they can have the bike good to go for me when I get home with out having to hook up a laptop and ride around (hours of "labor") then I'll stick with the TTS.

Does anyone have a link to the TTS manual that I could download and read out here?

Old 11-24-2010, 07:59 AM
Daehawc
Tourer

My post went out before I saw yours jluvs2ride. Thanks for the info.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly. I can easily have the dealer do the 103 kit and cams, remove my thundermax, reinstall the factory ecm and o2 sensors and be done with it.

At this point, the bike should be ridable but obviously not be truely gettting the power out of the mods.

Then, once I ride the bike home (about 50miles) I can personnaly hook up the TTS, plug it into my computer, and load a new map that should be close.

This in itself should give me an 80% solution correct? Then, I can use the tunning aspects by hooking up my laptop to the bike and riding with it a few time to really dial it in.

Is this an accurate assumption of how this should play out or do I missunderstand anything here? Thanks for the help.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:10 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

I'm in the same boat....subscribed!

Old 11-24-2010, 08:19 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Daehawc
My post went out before I saw yours jluvs2ride. Thanks for the info.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly. I can easily have the dealer do the 103 kit and cams, remove my thundermax, reinstall the factory ecm and o2 sensors and be done with it.

At this point, the bike should be ridable but obviously not be truely gettting the power out of the mods.

Then, once I ride the bike home (about 50miles) I can personnaly hook up the TTS, plug it into my computer, and load a new map that should be close.

This in itself should give me an 80% solution correct? Then, I can use the tunning aspects by hooking up my laptop to the bike and riding with it a few time to really dial it in.

Is this an accurate assumption of how this should play out or do I missunderstand anything here? Thanks for the help.
What state is your home state? There is an excellent tuner in central Florida if you are close by. He uses the TTS system, but when he gets done your bike will be tuned properly at 100%. Check out www.docsperformancetuning.com

Old 11-24-2010, 08:27 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

get the TTS. there is no way in hell you're going to figure out or even come close to tuning your bike with a SEST (it's a great device when it's in the right hands but not for the faint of heart).

There is a TON of information on here as well as extremely well-written instructions for doing your own tune with the TTS.

MrWizard knows this device inside and out.
Doc, Doc's Performance Tuning out of Florida, knows this device inside and out as well

both are more than willing to answer your questions...

Basically the procedure is this.
1. save your existing calibration from the ecm once you get home and the thundermax is off and your stock ECM reinstalled
2. program a map that comes with TTS into your ecm
3. set up your laptop with the TTS software
4. setup the software to log data
5. go ride the bike for 15 minutes
6. read data from the log
7. apply that data to the map
8. re-program the ecm with the modified map
9. setup logging again
10. go ride the bike for 15 or so minutes
11. gather data from that bike run and combine in modified map
12. re-program ecm with modified map

you might be done at this point, depends on how the bike runs or you might have to make 2 or 3 more 15 rides to gather data, combine it, then re-program ecm.

My only advice to you is the same great advice i got from others on here; READ THE INSTRUCTIONS closely. when you're done reading them, read them again.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 11-24-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:30 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep.

You're getting there. If you'll PM me your email address I'll send you a copy of the TTS manual which is available for download on their site.

Given the mods you have the bike may not run very well when you pick it up since the VE is likely so out of whack.

Upload a calibration that is most like what the bike actually has. TTS says to download the factory calibration first but I don't really see the value in doing that. The TTS experts tell me that you can't look at it or do anything with it. With the mods you have it's unlikely you would ever go back but I suppose it makes some folks feel good.

The next step is to do the VTune. Unfortunately you have to carry the PC with you for this. This process will correct the VE tables to your configuration. When I do this using the SESTP I put a piece of tape around my throttle with index marks at 0, 25, 50, 75, and 100% throttle. Try to ride at various rpms through the various throttle settings. The TTS manual says to repeat the process until all the cells are white.

What you need to realize is that this process IS NOT a performance tune. It will make the bike rideable and may be enough for you but there are plenty of good tuners around and if you want the most out of what you have then you need to find a good tuner that can use the equipment you have (in your case the TTS).

Quick Reply: advice needed. TTS or SERT