Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Cam Position Sensor specs

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Brad223
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Position Sensor specs

Hey everyone,
Bike has been stumbling from a dead stop so I checked for codes. Got code 56, for crank / cam sensor timing. The crank sensor was changed a month ago, I went by the factory manual for adjusting the timing. I figured a way to connect the cam sensor connector together and read the voltage. During the static timing I wasn't getting the 5 VDC I was supposed to get. I had 12 VDC on the red lead and the ground (BLK) lead. When I read between the GRN (+) and BLK (-), I got 0 VDC. I made sure the engine was not at TDC. Does anyone out there know the resistance values for the sensor? The manual says to change the sensor if you do not get the proper voltage. I want to make sure it is bad before I plop down $170 for a new one. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll give you a bump.Maybe someone can answer you.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Jackie999
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Cam sensor is a Hall effect switch that has only 2 logic states. Either +5 or Zero. If you can slowly crank the engine through by hand and you can see the logic level switch from +5 to 0 to +5 to 0, etc etc, chances are the switch is Good. The switch output level is Independent of RPM. The speed at which the switch is "chopped" is meaningless.

Now on the other hand the crank sensor is a variable reluctance pickup which is an AC generator within itself. The output amplitude is a function of RPM. As the waveform chops the zero axis (voltage output changes polarity) is the trigger point when the coil is fired.

In most ignition systems, the reason for the Cam sensor is to prevent ignition firing on exhaust strokes and to tell the ECM when to fire the injectors. It is not used for the precision timing position of when to fire the spark before TDC. The crank sensor is used for that.

Last edited by Jackie999; 11-22-2010 at 07:57 PM.