Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

O2 Eliminators

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 11:45 AM
LockNut
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 Eliminators

Do the O2 eliminators have to be installed when installing the PCIII? I just picked my bike up and found that they did the dyno without installing the eliminators. Is my custom map right now or is it skewed because of this?

Old 09-20-2006, 11:49 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: O2 Eliminators

They plug the bung in the pipes and the map overrides the sensor input.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:19 PM
Zyklon
Tourer

Hello Locknut

I am going to assume that your bike is an 06 model with the o2 sensors. (05 and earlier do not have the o2 sensors so the eliminators are unneeded.) I can certainly be wrong but I think that when using the PC III the 06 and later fuel injected models require the eliminators to be installed, if they are not necessary then why do they even add them to the package? I think that the SERT can be programmed to allow the 02 sensors to remain connected to the control module. But why not call or E-mail Power Commander and ask the experts?
Thats what the customer service and tech. people get paid for.

Good luck with it.
Zyklon

Old 09-20-2006, 11:06 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if trying to tune with 02 input, the 02's were fighting the PC - which means yes they were needed. If the Harley factory map was installed, it was looking for O2 input.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:00 AM
Zyklon
Tourer

The Harley factory map has to be present for the engine to run. The PC III is only a signal input/output modifier that feeds the factory ECM with altered data. The o2 eliminators supply the ECM with a signal (perhaps a specific voltage level) that tells the control module that the o2 sensors are connected when the o2 sensors are in fact, disconnected. If the o2 sensor eliminators are not used then trouble codes will be generated and will need to be cleared.

Zyklon

Old 09-21-2006, 12:06 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trouble codes will not necessarily be created. The trouble codes are set after running for 1 min at 50 kpa if the sensor is absent (That is much longet than a dyno run and a different engine load) and they are also set if the sensors are shorted or maxed out to one extreme. If the map they wrote doesn't keep the O2 sensor's pinned at one extreme, a code will not be set. But, the Harley map will be trying to achieve a certain A/F despite what the PC is doing - thus it will constantly be taking away the fuel the PC added in the cruise area.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:11 AM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes you can program the Sert to run without the 02 sensors activated, you can actually unplug them after that if you wish with no engine code problems, I kept mine intact on my 06 Dyna mainly to keep the connectors clean and plug the holes in the header pipes. Map 52 & 53 of the Sert 32107-01E software are maps for softail or Dyna without 02 input. I have also loaded other maps to try that were open loop with no problems. I wonder how they Dyno tuned Locknut's bike without the 02 eliminators and not have an engine light come on.
ORIGINAL: Zyklon

Hello Locknut

I am going to assume that your bike is an 06 model with the o2 sensors. (05 and earlier do not have the o2 sensors so the eliminators are unneeded.) I can certainly be wrong but I think that when using the PC III the 06 and later fuel injected models require the eliminators to be installed, if they are not necessary then why do they even add them to the package? I think that the SERT can be programmed to allow the 02 sensors to remain connected to the control module. But why not call or E-mail Power Commander and ask the experts?
Thats what the customer service and tech. people get paid for.

Good luck with it.
Zyklon

Old 09-21-2006, 12:20 AM
LockNut
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: One_Screamin_Eagle

Trouble codes will not necessarily be created. The trouble codes are set after running for 1 min at 50 kpa if the sensor is absent (That is much longet than a dyno run and a different engine load) and they are also set if the sensors are shorted or maxed out to one extreme. If the map they wrote doesn't keep the O2 sensor's pinned at one extreme, a code will not be set. But, the Harley map will be trying to achieve a certain A/F despite what the PC is doing - thus it will constantly be taking away the fuel the PC added in the cruise area.
So do you think that is going to a problem with the Harley map constantly trying to achieve a certain A/F? Or will the PCIII keep things running right. The first thought that comes to mind is surging. I will take for a good spin tomorrow.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:26 AM
LockNut
Cruiser

Thanks guys. I should have mentioned that it is an '07 Ultra. Eastern Performance is suppose to be a "Power Commander Tuning Center" so I have to trust that what they did is indeed correct by leaving the O2 sensors connected. If I start having problems, at least I will know where to look.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:34 AM
Zyklon
Tourer

Is it possible that the o2 eliminators are also signaling that the fuel ratio at cruse is at optimum level? That might take care of any conflict since the ECM would read the o2 sensors as not only connected but reading right on the money at 14.5.1 AFR. at cruse. All of this may be a moot point, since the PC III connects between the ECM and the fuel injectors and disregards or alters the ECMs fuel map and o2 data, it should not matter whether the Harley map tries to take away fuel or add fuel. The PCIII is in direct control of the injectors and will supply the fuel load that is programmed in to the PC III.

(Not trying to argue just trying to figure this out.)

Zyklon

Quick Reply: O2 Eliminators