Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Loud pop on cold startup...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 07:01 AM
p.o_o.h
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud pop on cold startup...

...not on every cold startup but on a few. It always run after the pop. Never popped and died. Never popped on warm or hot startups. 09 FXDF, Stage II 103", Bub Lakester with HD HB. Never happened before the Stage II. Was in Stage I a while, started fine. No popping then.

From other threads, I guess it's the fuel in the exhaust from one cylinder not firing at the first turn being combusted by the exhaust from the other cylinder that fired up on the same turn.

If so, does this mean that the cranking fuel (or even AFR) is too rich (at that given temperature) or too lean? Or is it some other problem entirely.

Would adjusting the cranking fuel program (either raising or lowering the fuel amount) in the ECM solve the problem? It is annoying and embarassing. I hate to scare old ladies in the early mornings.

Thanks a bundle in advance!

Old 11-04-2010, 07:03 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Too lean.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:34 AM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The stage II ECU download needs adjustment or you have a leaking injector. Not likely an injector but it has happened and upon warming up the injector seals back up.
Is it by chance the rear cylinder?
One other thing, the timing may be part of the problem. If the spark is advanced too far in the idle / MAP areas, it may not even ignite the flame front because no cylinder pressure has developed yet, in the cold cylinders.

The following users liked this post:
stewd8 (08-07-2019)
Old 11-05-2010, 09:51 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I would do 2 things.

1. Clean your fuel injectors with some techron or redline SI1 in the gas. Also check the wire connections to them.

2. If you have a sert or tuner where you can adjust the enrichment/rpm steps for temperature then I would make them a bit leaner on the colder temps and see if that helps.

If this is the first time you have had this build in the cold weather I would suspect the tune. If the bike has been in the cold before and this didn't happen then I would suspect the injectors.