Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 07:32 PM
Dbstglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTS Help!

Ok, So give you guys some background info. Layed the bike down back in June and decided to change out the PCIII for a TTS. Got the bike back together about a month ago and rode it with no tuner at all for the last thousand miles or so. Finally got a lap top so I can use the TTS. Bought a brand spanky new Toshiba with Windows 7. I did the update for the windows off the cd from TTS and the Usb downloads also. My problem is that I cant get the computer, tuner and bike to communicate. I only have one com port availaible and everytime I try to get ECM info it says to check connection and comport. Anyone got any Ideas, mind you I bought the tuner back in july when I was rounding up all the parts for the bike... Appreciate any help.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:39 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Some USB to serial port adapters don't work with the TTS. Other than that make sure your ignition is on and your run/stop swith is in the run position.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Dbstglide
Advanced

USB to serial port adapter? I have the TTS cable kit. Am I missing something else?

Old 10-29-2010, 07:43 PM
blawson
Novice

Does the COM port show up on the computer after you installed the USB drivers?

If the COM port is showing up when you plug the TTS into the laptop, make sure when you turn the key to the bike on that you also have the kill switch in the run position.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

If all else fails, hook everything up then delete your USB com port. Restart your computer and it will go into add hardware mode and refresh the port. It should work then. Happens to some Win7 puters.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:13 PM
dyna105
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a toshiba also. The first time I used the tts,I had to use com port #3 to get connection,other times com port #5. Even though there is only 1 com port connection on the laptop. Not sure if this will help you.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:52 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the sections of the manual provides connection troubleshooting. Do you have windoze 7 home or home premium?

Old 10-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Dbstglide
Advanced

I have windows 7 home premium. As far as the com port isnt that just the USB ports on the computer?

Old 10-30-2010, 06:45 AM
TexasDwight
Advanced

You need to tell the Master Tune software Data Master what com port you are using-a lot of USB to serial adaptors will go to a high com port when inserted. After you plug in the usb cable go to:
Control Panel-
System-
Device Manager-
Scroll down to USB Serial Port (The COM Port # will be in parenthesis) This is the port you need to pick in the Data Master program( Data Master will allow high com ports up to 16, I believe)
If you want to you can force this to a different com port as some programs will not use the big ones
High Light the USB Serial Port by left clicking once on it-then right click and choose properties a new window will open with tabs across the top
Click on Port Settings
Then click the Advanced button
At the top there will be a scroll box with the Com Port No.
Click the arrow and pick a low number, Usually 1 through 4 will work with almost any Software but try to stay as low as possible without using one that shows as being in use.

Last edited by TexasDwight; 10-30-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:47 PM
user 9375875
Banned

First, use Device manager to make sure you know what serial port the TTS adaptor has assigned itself to. If it is above COM16, use device manager to change the com port to something between 5 and 16 (1 thru 4 are generally for hardware on the laptop) See the Tuning Guide or MasterTune help for the detailed procedure.

Second, Make sure you are plugged into the correct connector on the bike. Some models have two identical-looking connectors, one under the seat and the other under the side cover. One is the data connector and the other is for accessories (I don't recall which is which!). Check your owners manual to be sure which one to use.

Third, make sure the tank and handlebar switches are BOTH on. Forth, start the Mastertune program and go to the Save or Restore calibration and select the same COM port identified in section 1. Then, press the 'Get ECM Info' to see if you are communicating.

There are a number of different messages that can come back depending on the exact issue. Post what the exact message is if you are still having problems. If not, save your original calibration and then onward to happy tunes!

Gary

Quick Reply: TTS Help!