Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Beware When Buying SE Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 03:15 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy crap. I have a 32109-08A that has been updated I guess to a 32109-08B via the internet.
Either way. I was just praising this device to my wife. Saying how easy it is to tune your bike, and if you follow the proper procedures, and mark off your throttle position you will get a good tune from doing an hours worth of recording.

So they changed it to where you cannot edit .dt0 files. That sucks. That sucks a lot.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:18 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the help. One more question, is it worth it for me to buy the cable kit, training DVD, and software?

I'm thinking no, cause I can't DYNO it myself. I guess it would allow me to see how the engine is performing though?

Old 10-31-2010, 06:14 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by editbrain
Holy crap. I have a 32109-08A that has been updated I guess to a 32109-08B via the internet.
Either way. I was just praising this device to my wife. Saying how easy it is to tune your bike, and if you follow the proper procedures, and mark off your throttle position you will get a good tune from doing an hours worth of recording.

So they changed it to where you cannot edit .dt0 files. That sucks. That sucks a lot.
Your good, I have the 32109-08A for my Trike and and have used it to smart tune. Only PN 41000008 Street Tuner has been what I would consider castrated.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:19 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TalldogsFatBob
Thanks for the help. One more question, is it worth it for me to buy the cable kit, training DVD, and software?

I'm thinking no, cause I can't DYNO it myself. I guess it would allow me to see how the engine is performing though?
If you wanted to take the time and learn how to tune you could use the smart tune function to tune your bike. Or you could use it to check for codes or do some trouble shooting if your inclined to.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Then add 7% to all VE tables when finished with Smart tune.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:48 PM
RA51
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Then add 7% to all VE tables when finished with Smart tune.
Smart tune is suppose to show or tune for what ve the motor actually needs. So why add 7% to the ve tables when done with smart tune ?

Old 10-31-2010, 08:57 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by RA51
Smart tune is suppose to show or tune for what ve the motor actually needs. So why add 7% to the ve tables when done with smart tune ?
Because it doesn't do a very good job of setting your VE tables. Ask any "real" professional dyno guy. They will tell you the same, same. It's no secret.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:15 AM
mechanicalman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OMG! what a clusterfu**

Does anybody out there really understand all this? My son has the same bike, AC and pipe as me and had his dyno'd and has the pro tuner. If I get my own pro tuner and the software could we down load his map to a PC then use my tuner to load that map to my bike? So I would need the tuner, the cables and the software, right? Are they as **** about the software as they are about the tuners. Does the software marry itself to a PC, a bike, or a tuner? Or will the software work on more than 1 PC, bike or tuner.
Would copying his map be possible with another brand of tuner such as the Power Vision or the TTS? As someone else mentioned I too am a computer geek with many years of experience and have been wrenching since the dead sea was only on the critical list and it's giving me a headache too.

If I had any idea the a few measly ponies was gonna cost me this much I would have stayed with my 88 FXRT and dropped in 124" S&S mill.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:22 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanicalman
Does anybody out there really understand all this? My son has the same bike, AC and pipe as me and had his dyno'd and has the pro tuner. If I get my own pro tuner and the software could we down load his map to a PC then use my tuner to load that map to my bike? So I would need the tuner, the cables and the software, right? Are they as **** about the software as they are about the tuners. Does the software marry itself to a PC, a bike, or a tuner? Or will the software work on more than 1 PC, bike or tuner.
Would copying his map be possible with another brand of tuner such as the Power Vision or the TTS? As someone else mentioned I too am a computer geek with many years of experience and have been wrenching since the dead sea was only on the critical list and it's giving me a headache too.

If I had any idea the a few measly ponies was gonna cost me this much I would have stayed with my 88 FXRT and dropped in 124" S&S mill.

You can copy the map files and use them interchangeably with the same software. You could copy the values from the map files to a different brand such as power vision etc - however with this method you need to understand that each brand of software only exposes so much to the end user and there are internal tables that may be different and since you can't see them you can't make them the same.

Finally, a Dyno tune puts you spot on and copying a map may or may not be 100% the same as it is on your sons bike as each engine and components are unique to themselves. You may find that after you do it that you want to do a dyno tyne just to get all you can out of your motor.