Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Intermittant Not Starting when Hot

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Indy Cruiser
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittant Not Starting when Hot

I'm having an intermittant problem with my 2008 Heritage that's driving me nuts....I hope someone here has a solution.

Occasionally after riding the bike and it's up to normal operating temperature...it won't start. This doesn't happen all the time, maybe afer 5 starts, maybe after 30. But it happens often enough to make me nervous.

Fuel Injected 96 c.i. (no security system)
Bike turns over, spark plugs have spark - not fouled. For some reason it's not getting fuel from injectors - fuel pump kicks on and primes the system. It's like the computer or TSSM is not sending a signal to the injectors.
let it sit for 1 hr and it fires right up - runs great - no hesitation - no misses - no issues.

I've checked for codes - no codes.
I've replaced the starter relay and system relay.
I've looked for wiring breaks/shorts.
No blown fuses.
Rocked the bike to reset the tip sensor.
New 310 CCA Battery.
Removed-loosened gas cap (vapor lock)

I'm leaning toward a faulty temp sensor, bad TSSM, bad ECM, bad MAP sensor, or maybe bad O2 sensor. Funny thing is....NO Codes.....let it sit for 1 hr and it fires right up.

Has anyone had this problem before, and if so what did you do to fix it?

Old 10-14-2010, 09:53 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Probably a sensor issue. My guess would be engine temp sensor.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:30 AM
Indy Cruiser
6th Gear

Thanks KBFXDLI,

The engine temp sensor is the next part I was planning on replacing. I had read that the engine temp sensor helps the ECM determine to run rich when cold (similar to using a choke) and normal when up to temperature. I had read nothing that indicated this sensor would cause the injectors to be turned off. With so many potential causes, I was hoping someone might have a cure.....before I have to troubleshoot by parts replacement.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Indy Cruiser
6th Gear

Update - Problem solved!

It appears I had a bad voltage regulator.

When I let my bike sit for awhile, I would put my battery on a tender and fully charge it. When I was riding it daily, I did not put it on the battery tender. When the battery was fully charged, I never had a problem for ~10 days, then it would start acting up.

I discovered this when I rode 1.5 hrs to a friends house. When I left, the engine was still hot, and the bike would not start. He gave me a jump and we were able to get the bike started. I rode the bike home (1.5 hr) and parked it in my driveway. I went out 4 hrs later to put it in the garage and the (new) battery was dead! Aha! I charged the battery, went riding for several days, no problem. Replaced the VReg and cured the problem. It appears my old VReg was putting out just enough juice to keep the bike running, but not enough to charge the battery. And when the engine (and battery) were hot, there was not enough power to start the motor. But, when the engine cooled and the battery was able to sit for awhile and build up a little charge, the bike would fire right up!