Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

What is the REAL story on mapping after minor intake & exhaust changes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010 | 07:37 PM
CT-Bagger
|
Road Master
Default What is the REAL story on mapping after minor intake & exhaust changes?

Once and for all what's the real story??
I have a 2010 Limited with a 103.
I put V&H slip on dual slash mufflers and nitice a slight backfire from time to time while decelerating which tells me I'm a touch on the lean side and on the lean side to begin with because of the MF'n EPA.
I want to add some free breathing intake but I'm almost sure I'll lean out even more.
When is re-mapping really needed?
Thanks,

Old 10-06-2010 | 07:59 PM
Bitter Creek
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GJS-53
Once and for all what's the real story??
I have a 2010 Limited with a 103.
I put V&H slip on dual slash mufflers and nitice a slight backfire from time to time while decelerating which tells me I'm a touch on the lean side and on the lean side to begin with because of the MF'n EPA.
I want to add some free breathing intake but I'm almost sure I'll lean out even more.
When is re-mapping really needed?
Thanks,
What do your plugs look like?

Old 10-06-2010 | 08:08 PM
2wheeltom77
Tourer

I'll guess the backfire was technically there before the pipes. You could probably "tune" your stock setup before pipes and not notice any ill noises from just pipes.

Old 10-06-2010 | 08:32 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

The backfire is known as decel pop, normal doesn't hurt nuttin. Often happens when you put on a low restriction muffler, as they allow air up the exhaust where it lights off the unburned fuel.. You can tune it out with a sophisticated tuner if you want, sometimes you get lucky with something simple. If you are looking for more performance, the AF is a waste without a tune or tuner. Style is another story, if you are happy with the way it runs and don't mind the heat, just ride it with plenty of smiles.

Old 10-07-2010 | 03:59 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Default There are many answers to your question

The first (and the main reason for me) to install a fuel management system after installing a stage 1 and pipes, was to let the bike run richer than the stock ecm and even the HD reflash would allow for. By running the bike richer I was able to make it run cooler than it would with the EPA mandated lean setup. The fuel management system I picked was the Power Commander V. This also allows for a level of tuning that stock systems don't give you. There is so much to read up on and this site (and some others) will provide you with but you'll need to do some research to understand more fully what a fuel management system can do for your new bike.

Old 10-07-2010 | 06:37 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Harley doesn't concider an exhaust change a performance upgrade, it is when you add a stage 1 air filter that tuning is recommended. The bikes run so lean from the factory that any any change in the way your bike "breathes" will make it way to lean. As you probably know there is many options on how to richen your bike up. From XIED's to full on ECM replacement (Thundermax). You just have to ask yourself what changes you plan to make in the future and what your budget will allow. If you think you will be perfectly contempt with exhaust and air fileter upgrades, and don't plan on adding cams and stuff, you might be happy with just a stage 1 download from your local Harley Dealer, (about 150 bucks). If you plan on future performance upgrades, then you would beneift from a fuel managment system, PC, SEST, TTS, etc.

Old 10-07-2010 | 07:02 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Watch Guy
T.... I picked was the Power Commander V. This also allows for a level of tuning that stock systems don't give you. .....
Not sure what you meant by stock system as this doesn't seem to be saying much, as the system as it comes from the factory doesn't provide any tuning adjustments. There are software tools (tuning kits) that give you the hooks into the stock ECU to make adjustments, and these provide another level of tuning that the PCVs don't give you along with retaining the ECU closed loop and adaptability functions.

The stock ECU will automatically adjust AFR to compensate for a more open exhaust and air filter, it just won't be very happy doing the extra work and you may be pushing its limits. The ECU will still be adjusting to the EPA mandated (lean) values. So, if you like the way the bike runs after making the mods, it doesn't hurt anything. If you are expecting better performance, however, a decent tune/tuner gives you more bang for the bucks than a free flow air filter.

Last edited by ColdCase; 10-07-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-07-2010 | 07:06 AM
peppi
Road Captain

When you change exhausts, you will usually get the decel popping because you can hear it more with the less restrictive mufflers. If you follow someone with even stock mufflers, you can see the flash inside the muffler on decel as that bike pops but you will not hear it like you do with the less restrictive mufflers. Adding fuel with a tuner should be done anytime modifications are done to the exhaust or intake, even on a completely stock bike it will run better when you add some fuel.
Reading the plugs like in the old days will not net you anything with the removal of the lead from the fuels. You can richen up a fuel map to the point of being overly rich and the plug will still be pretty much still white.Mostly any color that you will see on a plug is the fuel additives and not indicative of the proper mixture.
As mentioned above, the stage downloads from the dealers will just bring you back to EPA lean conditions again and the bike will run lean and hot. The only way to do the job properly is a tuner of your choice.

Old 10-07-2010 | 07:15 AM
Maclugie
Road Master

The best thing to do when you make changes to the exhaust is to change the intake and tune the engine. People try to get away with just the mufflers because it's cheaper but there is no cheap way around this. The new EFI bikes run way too lean. Any dealer will tell you this and it's not to try to up sell you. Do you know how many people walk away from them after receiving this information? If you are not will to go all the way leave the bike stock. Why take the chance? Save up and get it done right!

Old 10-07-2010 | 07:31 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by peppi
... . If you follow someone with even stock mufflers, you can see the flash inside the muffler on decel as that bike pops .... .
Personally I've followed many late model stock bikes and have never seen this... oh there was one but he had something seriously wrong with the bike....