Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Electra Glide fairing lighter

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010 | 09:00 AM
Larry Davis
|
Tourer
Default Electra Glide fairing lighter

I've searched but can find nothing mentioned about this. Can someone tell me if I can safely run a pair of new Gerbing gloves from the fairing cigarette lighter on my 2010 Electra Glide Classic. I've asked 2 dealers and both said "sure, why not?", but the owner's manual says "NO" heated clothing should be plugged in. What's the real story?
Thanks

Old 09-29-2010 | 09:04 AM
CruzN
Road Master

Depends on the amps they draw, but I run a GPS off it.

I'd look up what size fuse it uses and go from there.

Old 09-29-2010 | 09:14 AM
dmercy
Road Captain

You heard about the guy who plugged in a jacket warmer, pants warmer and gloves?
Yeah, he overheated the electrics (pun intended).

I'd say stick with the owner's manual recommendation and not use any high wattage items like warmers especially if you are also using aux lights... combined, that would be too much, I suspect.

Old 09-29-2010 | 10:39 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by dmercy

I'd say stick with the owner's manual recommendation and not use any high wattage items like warmers especially if you are also using aux lights... combined, that would be too much, I suspect.
+1

Amperage is higher for heated clothing and should have a separate fuse (50 or 75 amp direct battery connection). The cig lighter has a smaller fuse (15 amp) and smaller wiring which is rated to a smaller amperage as well.

For those plugging equipment in the cig lighter... be sure to "test" turn the fairing to the left all the way. A few adapters stick out far enough to dent your tank. Don't ask me how I found out.

Old 09-29-2010 | 02:04 PM
peppi
Road Captain

I wouldn't use that lighter plug for heated clothing of gloves etc. The draw is more than the lighter element would use and would be a constant draw too.

Put a jack somewhere that is easily accessible like in the pan just to the rear of the engine between the frame rails. It works well there and is out of the way. Easy plugged into and removed when getting off the bike.

Old 10-02-2010 | 04:27 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

If you are considering plugging in a cigarette lighter adapter in lieu of the cigarette lighter, there's a safety issue because it substantially restricts how much you will be able to turn the handlebars to the left without hitting the tank with the adapter.

The HD heated gloves made by Gerbing includes a simple harness connected at the battery and I didn't see any reason not to wire the bike per the instructions supplied.

Carl