Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Security System Locked

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010 | 09:03 PM
lowhog
|
Intermediate
Default Security System Locked

I have a 07 lowrider and it appears the security system has locked out the starter and ignition system.

When I turn the key switch on it flashes the turn indicators side to side. It pauses for a split second and starts again for a total of 17 different cycles. No noise with the exception of the fuel pump building pressure.

I used both fobs to insure one had not failed
I entered my security code pin to override the fobs
I have checked for codes and find none.
I cleaned and checked each fuse to insure circuits are complete.
I cleaned and tightened the battery terminals.
I have a fully charged battery.
I checked ECU and Power Comander terminals and found nothing unusual.

I am ready to give up and take it to the dealer but if someone has a suggestion I would appreciate any help.

Thanks
Lowhog

Old 09-27-2010 | 12:38 PM
peppi
Road Captain

Being the bike is an 07, you might want to replace the battery in at least one fob if not both to see if the battery is the problem. Usually they don't last for more than about 3 years depending on how much use they get.

You can get interference from electronics near by too, try moving the bike and try to disarm it again.

You mentioned "no noise" , do you have a siren installed in the alarm system?

Old 09-27-2010 | 11:06 PM
lowhog
|
Intermediate
Default Update

Tonight I tried to start the bike and it did three alternating flashes and then stopped. I placed the run switch to on and it fired right up. Did this about three times and then it began to act up with flashing etc. and would not start. Now it appears that all of this is random.

I tested the battery with a multimeter and found that it has 12.59 volts (after the system started to act up and after three starts). I am beginning to wonder if the battery is weak enough that this is causing the problem since it was on a charger overnight and throughout the day.... We have some good riding weather coming and I want to be sure that if I am on the road I don't get stuck somewhere unable to start the steed.

The fob I have does not appear to have a battery to access. I will look closer but it does seem odd that using my pin code did not override the system.

With regard to the issue of noise my bike does not have a siren.

Thank for any help or suggestions this has got me spun up.

Lowhog

Old 09-28-2010 | 04:48 PM
peppi
Road Captain

The fob I have does not appear to have a battery to access. I will look closer but it does seem odd that using my pin code did not override the system.
They all have a battery and when it gets weak, it will not allow the bike to start.

Old 09-28-2010 | 09:27 PM
lowhog
|
Intermediate
Default Problem Solved

Originally Posted by peppi
They all have a battery and when it gets weak, it will not allow the bike to start.
Peppi:

You were right it was the fob battery. I found it very odd that both died at the very same time and the pin code didn't work. I replaced the battery fired it up and took her for a ride tonight.

Thanks Peppi and forum members

Lowhog