Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Anyone go back to SERT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 10:34 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Anyone go back to SERT?

1.) I want to know if anyone has gone back to using the SERT from using a T-Max?
Results: better, the same, or not so good?

2.) Also if they switched back to the SERT, did they stay with a dyno tune on that for their build, or did they upgrade their SERT to a TTS. TTS will upgrade fro $100.00

3.) Is the TTS that much different than the SERT?

Thanks

Mark

Old 09-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by mgmmgm
1.) I want to know if anyone has gone back to using the SERT from using a T-Max?
Results: better, the same, or not so good?

2.) Also if they switched back to the SERT, did they stay with a dyno tune on that for their build, or did they upgrade their SERT to a TTS. TTS will upgrade fro $100.00

3.) Is the TTS that much different than the SERT?

Thanks

Mark
I had a SERT on my 07 POSE. Didn't like the tune and had a tough time with it. Two Dyno guys couldn't fix it either. I was ripped off by one guy big time. Sucked gas, popped, ran like crap. I purchased the TMax. Adjusted it and let it learn and learn. The tune was better but still not to my liking.

I took the SERT and traded it in with a hundred bucks to TTS, got the upgrade. Removed the TMax and went back to the factory ECM. The TTS and the VTune fixed my issues. I learned all I could about the TTS, started tuning other bikes and helping people. Never a bad tune, always able to fix unfixable issues. I'll never go back even though the TMax has come a long way since then. Go for it and learn how it works.

Hope this is the info you are looking for.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:28 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tmax now, back to SERT?

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
I had a SERT on my 07 POSE. Didn't like the tune and had a tough time with it. Two Dyno guys couldn't fix it either. I was ripped off by one guy big time. Sucked gas, popped, ran like crap. I purchased the TMax. Adjusted it and let it learn and learn. The tune was better but still not to my liking.

I took the SERT and traded it in with a hundred bucks to TTS, got the upgrade. Removed the TMax and went back to the factory ECM. The TTS and the VTune fixed my issues. I learned all I could about the TTS, started tuning other bikes and helping people. Never a bad tune, always able to fix unfixable issues. I'll never go back even though the TMax has come a long way since then. Go for it and learn how it works.

Hope this is the info you are looking for.
I made some calls to HD dealers ( my local HD dealer does not tune TTS ) I called over to Tacoma, WA. to a HD dealer and they were not suggesting that the TTS upgrade was all that much better than the SERT.

Would like more folks to chime in here - appreciate your input.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:37 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mgmmgm
I made some calls to HD dealers ( my local HD dealer does not tune TTS ) I called over to Tacoma, WA. to a HD dealer and they were not suggesting that the TTS upgrade was all that much better than the SERT.

Would like more folks to chime in here - appreciate your input.
What do you think the HD guys will tell you? Mastertune made the original SERT and now SPX makes the SEST. I got my SERT upgraded and will be doing my Vtune in a few weeks. But HD no longer makes any money off of Mastertune products.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:34 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are numerous post all over the net of folks ditching the TMax for TTS because doing timing adjustments work better and the fuel management uses a better algorithm.

If you are happy with your TMax and it works well for you, you will likely not see much difference. The folks that switch are either having problems of one kind or another or are **** about their tune.

I've read that when a tuner says they can't or won't use the TTS kit to tune, he is probably not that competent, or is tuning simply for power and ignore drivability.

The TTS VTune that you can do yourself produces better results than smart tune, and the settings you put into TTS stick, where SEST will sometimes do its own thing. The current TTS kit is better than SERT, much better if you are a DIYer.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:40 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdCase
The TTS VTune that you can do yourself produces better results than smart tune, and the settings you put into TTS stick, where SEST will sometimes do its own thing. The current TTS kit is better than SERT, much better if you are a DIYer.
I have been using the SESTP for quite awhile and I have found the above infomation to be wholly and totally incorrect.

I am willing to bet that VTune and Smart Tune would produce very similar adjustments to the VE tables used on the same bike under the same conditions.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
I have been using the SESTP for quite awhile and I have found the above infomation to be wholly and totally incorrect.

I am willing to bet that VTune and Smart Tune would produce very similar adjustments to the VE tables used on the same bike under the same conditions.
I will have to side with CC here. The TTS is better than the SERT then again so is the SESPT. The question whether the TTS VTune is better than the SESPT is judgmental. Many conversations about this both pro and con on each model and I've been lucky enough to tune lots of different bikes with both brands and in doing so seem to prefer the software and a few extras the TTS comes with.

Professional tuners tune with what they are proficient with. They are also very profound about which one is better. There is another very good Harley tech site online and they heavily discuss the differences between the two. It's interesting reading.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:10 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride

There seems to be a few SEPST fans that have found the reports of many others here to be completely inaccurate. I dunno, have you run a gas analyzer on your bike and compare the measured AFR to what you thought you set? Many have noticed quite a difference for closed loop SESTP, and you would be fat dumb and happy if you didn't check it. Its more than simply the VEs, I think.

Just saying that the consensus seems to be that you can more accurately hit your AFR target using the TTS kit. It has been posted often that SESTP does what it wants with AFR, in some cases, regardless of how you want your bike to run.

SESPT has gotten a bad rap from the more experienced tuners, perhaps its not all that bad for the everyday Joe that just wants to ride. It does have some decent features and you can certainly do pretty good with it. If SESPT was less money you could argue that it is more bang for the buck, but it is currently more cash out of pocket for a complete turn key kit, and there is absolutely no factory SESPT support.

Last edited by ColdCase; 09-26-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:49 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

There seems to be a few SEPST fans that have found the reports of many others here to be completely inaccurate. I dunno, have you run a gas analyzer on your bike and compare the measured AFR to what you thought you set? Many have noticed quite a difference for closed loop SESTP, and you would be fat dumb and happy if you didn't check it. Its more than simply the VEs, I think.
Dude, I totally get that you are heavily invested in TTS, but the statement you made;

Is just absolutely not true. I've been using the SESTP since 2008 and I have never had the experiences you describe.

Just saying that the consensus seems to be that you can more accurately hit your AFR target using the TTS kit. It has been posted often that SESTP does what it wants with AFR, in some cases, regardless of how you want your bike to run.
You and Wizard hardly make a concensus. To say that if I use the SESTP to program a certain value into a particular cell and that the SESTP does what ever it wants in spite of what I put there and God and the SESTP only know what he actual value will be but that if I use the TTS it will program exactly what I put I put in is absolutely ABSURD. You know we have had this particular discussion before and you are still posting incorrect information.

SESPT has gotten a bad rap from the more experienced tuners, perhaps its not all that bad for the everyday Joe that just wants to ride. It does have some decent features and you can certainly do pretty good with it. If SESPT was less money you could argue that it is more bang for the buck, but it is currently more cash out of pocket for a complete turn key kit, and there is absolutely no factory SESPT support.
Last I checked the TTS and SESTP were very close pricewise. Don't you remember saying the TTS was much better for the DIYer?

The current TTS kit is better than SERT, much better if you are a DIYer.

Last edited by jluvs2ride; 09-27-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Whoa there... I didn't knock the SESPT, did I? Nor am I in a partnership with CC to knock any product.

I agreed with CC that the TTS is better than the SERT. I added that the SESPT is also. While tuning, I've had success with both brands but I do prefer the TTS for my bikes. I've had success tuning bikes with the SERT also but needed a gas analyzer to make the necessary adjustments.

Personally, and nothing against CC... I've never experienced a problem with the SESPT holding it's tune unless there was an 02 sensing issue which influenced the ECM during the adaptive learning process. That doesn't mean I disagree or agree with him. The same 02 sensor issue would cause any ECM to degrade it's original tune regardless of the type of tuner used.

Quick Reply: Anyone go back to SERT?