Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Anyone go back to SERT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 07:15 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdCase
There seems to be a few SEPST fans that have found the reports of many others here to be completely inaccurate. I dunno, have you run a gas analyzer on your bike and compare the measured AFR to what you thought you set? Many have noticed quite a difference for closed loop SESTP, and you would be fat dumb and happy if you didn't check it. Its more than simply the VEs, I think.
I haven't read any posts from SESTP users descibing the bizzarre behaviour that you like to attribute to the SESTP and your remark about using a gas analyzer applies the TTS as well.

BTW, The TTS manual (I have a copy if you need to borow it) describes VTune as the process used to calibrate the ECM's VE tables such that the desired AFR is obtained under all riding conditions. This is what Smart Tune does. The idea is to Smart Tune or VTune until very little change is observed. At this point using the the TTS or SESTP if I put a value such as 13.8 in a particular cell then I should get something very close to that value. Both TTS and SESTP very likely use the same mathmatical algorythms to achieve this end.

Just saying that the consensus seems to be that you can more accurately hit your AFR target using the TTS kit. It has been posted often that SESTP does what it wants with AFR, in some cases, regardless of how you want your bike to run.
Again the implication that if either tuner SESTP or TTS if used poperly would cause a situation where I put 12.7 in a particular cell in my AFR table but the program somehow thinks that 13.2 is more appropriate is just totally ABSURD.

SESPT has gotten a bad rap from the more experienced tuners, perhaps its not all that bad for the everyday Joe that just wants to ride. It does have some decent features and you can certainly do pretty good with it. If SESPT was less money you could argue that it is more bang for the buck, but it is currently more cash out of pocket for a complete turn key kit, and there is absolutely no factory SESPT support.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:29 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Whoa there... I didn't knock the SESPT, did I? Nor am I in a partnership with CC to knock any product.

I agreed with CC that the TTS is better than the SERT. I added that the SESPT is also. While tuning, I've had success with both brands but I do prefer the TTS for my bikes. I've had success tuning bikes with the SERT also but needed a gas analyzer to make the necessary adjustments.

Personally, and nothing against CC... I've never experienced a problem with the SESPT holding it's tune unless there was an 02 sensing issue which influenced the ECM during the adaptive learning process. That doesn't mean I disagree or agree with him. The same 02 sensor issue would cause any ECM to degrade it's original tune regardless of the type of tuner used.
I apologize for having mischaracterized your post. I will agree that the TTS has a different UI and some more tools, It's fair to say that one prefers one over the other. However it is very likely that “under the covers” the actual algorithms used are the same.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

To speak of some obvious differences... I think it has more to do with the software. Not the VTune or the Smart tune but the main software.

I got very used to using the SERT software and since they were made by TTS the software isn't much different. I find it easier to use than the new SESPT software which is more like the HD Digital Tech box.

I think everyone agrees the TTS has a few more neat tools but I also like the fact that I can update the TTS software without having to put a SESPT dongle on the computer to get a new update or has that changed?

Still, and as stated, it's more of a "to each their own". TTS pricing is a little less and there is factory support too. It would be a fair call to say that I am TTS supportive.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:52 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

To speak of some obvious differences... I think it has more to do with the software. Not the VTune or the Smart tune but the main software.

I got very used to using the SERT software and since they were made by TTS the software isn't much different. I find it easier to use than the new SESPT software which is more like the HD Digital Tech box.

I think everyone agrees the TTS has a few more neat tools but I also like the fact that I can update the TTS software without having to put a SESPT dongle on the computer to get a new update or has that changed?

Still, and as stated, it's more of a "to each their own". TTS pricing is a little less and there is factory support too. It would be a fair call to say that I am TTS supportive.
When I launch SESTP software I have the option to check for updates, if I haven't checked in a while it will remind me. I can update without attaching the VCI but sometimes there are fimware updates.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

I had a tune a few days ago and had the pop up for updates. Your right...It's a timed response if you haven't opened the program in a while. I didn't have any VCI updates but it wasn't my module. But here's the kicker... there were no updates when I checked but it wouldn't find any updates until the VCI was online.

Another tid-bit... got to pay for the SESPT software, TTS is free from their site. OK, OK, time to stop beating the horse, sorry.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 237 Posts

All of these devices are capable of tuning a bike. If you can tune with one you can tune with any. They are all just tools, the recipe is the same. I think the TTS is the most user friendly as a program. Not only does it have more tables to tune with, it has more features that make it easier to use. With the TTS you can check your edits with the click of a button rather than having to copy and paste a cell or table. It is also handy to be able to export a string of data to see what is happening before knock retard to know what table to use to correct it. It is nice to be able to see the data while adjusting your map. Try this with the SESPT.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone go back to SERT?-tts.jpg  
Old 09-28-2010, 05:57 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
All of these devices are capable of tuning a bike. If you can tune with one you can tune with any. They are all just tools, the recipe is the same. I think the TTS is the most user friendly as a program. Not only does it have more tables to tune with, it has more features that make it easier to use. With the TTS you can check your edits with the click of a button rather than having to copy and paste a cell or table. It is also handy to be able to export a string of data to see what is happening before knock retard to know what table to use to correct it. It is nice to be able to see the data while adjusting your map. Try this with the SESPT.
AS you say, they are just tools and both do the same thing. I can accept that the TTS has more features. I'm not sure what you mean by that last remark abut exporting a string. In my tuning process using the SESTP I actually followed a procedure outlined in the TTS manual to modify my advance curve. I was able to look at data recorded during a ride, determine where knock was detected and in some cases based on the AFR at that cell I either added fuel or delayed timing a couple of degrees to mitigate the knock.

I've always tried to take a more objective view on the TTS since I don't have any experience using it, but I do have some experience using the SESTP an when certain persons make competely outlandish remarks about the SESTP I just have to call BS. The point is if the TTS is such a great tool (and I am not saying it isn't) Why is it necessary to make up stuff based upon pure fantasy.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:14 AM
RA51
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TTS is free from their site.
Post a link to get this software. I have looked for this software just to check out the TTS. You have to buy the TTS to get the software from what I have seen.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:18 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by RA51
Post a link to get this software. I have looked for this software just to check out the TTS. You have to buy the TTS to get the software from what I have seen.
http://www.mastertune.net/

Just go to the site, click on the left side that says Harley then the calibrations button. Then on the right side find the "Update" software.

Download and run the Update software and it will install the TTS software on your computer will all the manuals.