Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Afr desired line at 14.6 shouldn’t be a 13.5 on my supper tuner.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 06:12 PM
ubreal
Road Master
Received 184 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Afr desired line at 14.6 shouldn’t be a 13.5 on my supper tuner.

I installed a sepst, and change the afr table vales from 14.6 to 13.5. I went for a ride to record the run when I played the run back the afr desired was at 14.6 to me you think it would be at 13.8 how do I know if my bike is running at 14.6 or 13.8.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:45 PM
RA51
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you changed all the 14.6 afr in red to 13.5 you would only be running on the ve tables front an rear. When you changed the afr to 13.5 did you save that file as a new map an upload it to the ecm ? From the record you are talking about showing at 14.6. You just uploaded a tuning file but not the one you changed or it would be at 13.5 in the recording.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

Until the ve tables have been calibrated you won't know the actual afr no matter what number you plug into the afr table. If you enabled smarttune when you installed the map then you would see desired afr as 14.6.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:10 AM
mang0
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i think when you smart tune it loads the base map--which is 14.6 (Cloosed loop)

Old 09-24-2010, 11:07 PM
ubreal
Road Master

This is how I loaded the map in the ecm;
1st I load the base map with the two boxes check. The Enable Smart tune and Reset Adaptive Fuel.
2nd I did a run.
3rd I upload the run to my laptop then did smart tune.
4th then I save the file to a different name the same number with a one at the end (after I save this file, one time, I just save the new map changes to this file).
5th loaded the map that got change with smart tune. I also change the afr cells that were red to 13.5.
6th then loaded the map in the ecm. With the two boxes check.
7th went on another run.
I did this for 5 times. What I would like to know is this the right way to adjust the map or do you load the base map in and do about 10 runs with only the base map, then use smart tune to calculate your changes, and then load that one modified map in.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:13 AM
mang0
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

let me start by saying i am no expert--just been playing with this software in my spare time--have read the help files and manual a few times as well -

do your smart tune runs with the base map. it is my understanding that you can only smart tune in closed loop (14.6) and even if you load a custon map for a smart tune, it will convert it to the base map. it is also my understanding that the only thing really being done with smart tune is attaining accurate volume efficieny (VE). so do all your smart tune runs with the base map loaded (downloading to your computer after each run ). after you have a few smart tunes saved then use the software to modifiy the VE table in both the front and rear. then change your AFR and save as a different name and load to ecm

Old 09-25-2010, 08:14 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ubreal
I installed a sepst, and change the afr table vales from 14.6 to 13.5. I went for a ride to record the run when I played the run back the afr desired was at 14.6 to me you think it would be at 13.8 how do I know if my bike is running at 14.6 or 13.8.
If you did a proper smart tune, then nearly all the cells in the AFR table are set to 14.6 by the software. This allows the O2 sensors to gather data through all the ranges.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:20 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

1st I load the base map with the two boxes check. The Enable Smart tune and Reset Adaptive Fuel.
The Enable Smart tune box sets the AFR table to 14.6 across the board to enable the O2 sensors in all ranges. So if you are looking at desired AFR then 14.6 is what you will see.

What you now should do is use all your data runs to do the Smart tune on your VE tables. Then set your AFR as you want and do another data run but don't check the Enable Smart tune box. This time when you look at he desired AFR it should be closer to what you expect to see.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:21 PM
ubreal
Road Master

That sounds good that the software puts the map at 14.6 so it should not matter if you record a run, then run smart tune, then make the changes to the ve tables, then dump the changes of the ve tables in the ecm, then record another run, then run smart tune, then dump the changes of the ve tables in the ecm, and do this over and over again

Old 09-26-2010, 07:43 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

That sounds good that the software puts the map at 14.6 so it should not matter if you record a run, then run smart tune, then make the changes to the ve tables, then dump the changes of the ve tables in the ecm, then record another run, then run smart tune, then dump the changes of the ve tables in the ecm, and do this over and over again
Yeah, that's correct. Try to run through a variety of throttle positions/RPM ranges as possible. Avoid hard accel and hard decel. The goal is to adjust the VE tables to reflect the actual perfomance of your engine. When this process is complete you should be able to put what ever afr value you want in a particular cell and actually get that value. You can also do data runs w/out checking the Smart Tune box for the purpose of checking other variables such as desired vs. actual AFR and timing.

Quick Reply: Afr desired line at 14.6 shouldn’t be a 13.5 on my supper tuner.