Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

EFI tuning for new bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 02:16 PM
raym
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI tuning for new bike

I just bought an 05 Roadking Custom with 1700 miles on it. The previous owner had Harley upgrade slip ons installed with screaming eagle air cleaner. This is my first EFI Harley and I haven't got a clue. The dealer said that during this "stage I" upgrade, they remapped the EFI.

The bike runs good and responds better than expected. Back fires a little on deceleration.

Do I need to do additiional EFI tuning such as a SERT or PCIII (not sure the difference yet), or am I good to go as is if the bike runs fine?

I do not want to risk engine damage obviously and I see where Terry1955 states to PLEEEEEEEEEASE Do not use the HD download. Is this what I currently have?

Thanks for any help.

Ray

Old 09-12-2006, 02:33 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: EFI tuning for new bike

Since it backfires a little on decel, it's still a little lean. Not lean enough to damage the engine, but a tad lean. If you like the way it runs and don't mind the backfiring, leave it alone.

If you want to change it, I suggest the Terry Components box. A little more expensive to install, but since you don't have to pay for dyno and tuner time, it works out to the cheapest option. It adds closed loop operation to your bike, which is what all new bikes have now.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:57 PM
ernestchet
Intermediate

im sure IF the dealer even put a map on the bike it was the canned hd map which is why you are getting some popping on decel.

did you get the sert with the bike??? IF it has been mapped someone already has a sert for the bike???

you cannot hurt the motor with the sert, i don't believe the HD sert will allow it? too big of a liability for HD, HD made the sert with limits!

if you already have the sert then you can play with the map if you so desire? with little investment? and prolly get rid of the popping.

otherwise you will have to invest $350 for a sert or PCIII, i think the closed looped terry box is around $500?

or you can just leave it the way it is and ride??

i also have a 05 rK classic with wild hog pipes and a se ac and i purchased a sert and the daytona 88+ with the WEGO which allows me to tune it according to the o2 content of the exhaust, it works great!! but is time consuming. you can really make the bike run different!!

also, JMO but, i really don't think there is a whole lot of performance diff. in the slip on pipes (other than the quality of the steel and chome) thats why i bought the cheap wild pigs and they are great. now if you want to talk 2 into 1's or real duals, now there is a diff in brands!

i know a few dealers who charge for a sert for remapping, a SE AC and pipes, but......did nothing but slip on a pair of SE pipes and cut some plastic on the stock AC, no mapping and not even a real full flow AC!! because the cust didn't know any better!!!

as far as i know, and i could be wrong, but even the dealers have to purchase the sert for each bike they remap?? maybe someone can answwer that?? i would like to know if there is a master dealer sert program?

Old 09-13-2006, 10:28 AM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

as far as i know, and i could be wrong, but even the dealers have to purchase the sert for each bike they remap?? maybe someone can answwer that?? i would like to know if there is a master dealer sert program?
Dealer can do ECM downloads via Digital Tech. or Cartridge (race only). The way they charge for a remap, you would think they were buying the SERT. It takes all of 10 minutes to remove the seat, plug in the digital tech., and reflash the bikes ECM, which they charge $150-200 for. If you are only going to do pipes and AC, It's really not a bad deal. If you look to do further upgrades/changes on the bike, purchasing a SERT or aftermarket tuner my be advisable.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

know a few dealers who charge for a sert for remapping, a SE AC and pipes, but......did nothing but slip on a pair of SE pipes and cut some plastic on the stock AC, no mapping and not even a real full flow AC!! because the cust didn't know any better!!!
I don't think so!!! Better do your homework before you start making statements like this. Misinformation is worse than bad information!

Old 09-13-2006, 11:54 AM
raym
Advanced

I bought the bike as is from my local HD dealer. The bike was not originally purchased from this dealer and all I know is that it has the screaming eagle AC and upgraded harley pipes. My dealer says the original HD dealer who did the work would have "re-mapped" the EFI when doing this.

Would they have had to use a SERT to do this or is there another method? Terry speaks in his informative article on this forum that the HD download is a "bandaid" approach and not advisable.

I'm wondering if this is what I currently have. I also understand that I definitely will need to purchase a SERT if I do additional engine upgrades, but do not plan to do so anytime soon. My only concern is that I might be doing engine damage as is and this would be the only reason I would purchase and install SERT at this time.

The bike runs great as is but I do not want to risk future damage. It is certainly worth spending the money for SERT and dyno time from my local dealer now rather than paying for damage down the road.
the bike has about 9 months left on the factory warrenty.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: raym

I just bought an 05 Roadking Custom with 1700 miles on it. The previous owner had Harley upgrade slip ons installed with screaming eagle air cleaner. This is my first EFI Harley and I haven't got a clue. The dealer said that during this "stage I" upgrade, they remapped the EFI.

The bike runs good and responds better than expected. Back fires a little on deceleration.

Do I need to do additiional EFI tuning such as a SERT or PCIII (not sure the difference yet), or am I good to go as is if the bike runs fine?

I do not want to risk engine damage obviously and I see where Terry1955 states to PLEEEEEEEEEASE Do not use the HD download. Is this what I currently have?

Thanks for any help.

Ray
If you should want to go the DFO route, I have a brand new one (due to a mis-order) that fits your bike. I'll make you a hell of a deal on it. Drop me an e-mail through my profile.

(If you're not familar with the DFO, it's like an adjustable jet kit for fuel injected bikes. No computer, no downloads, etc. You adjust it with your tach and a screwdriver. Google "Revtech DFO" and you'll get a million hits)

Old 09-13-2006, 04:14 PM
schultz
Tourer

I had a 05 RKCustom and they put there so called download on it. It ran ok would pop often and on when you decelarate. I know it was still running lean cause the engine put out some heat but I kept riding it. Went to Sturgis and back and did not have any problems with it. Traded it in on the bagger and I will be damed if I did not let them talk me into there download crap( you would thing at my age I would know better) again. On this 06 bike it would pop in the exhaust ocassionaly but would fart back thru the throttle body pretty often. I bought a DFO and put on it and it was a big improvement bout like riding another bike. I been tweaking with it to get the highest mpg I can out of it but it has taking the popping on deceleration and farting in the throttle body out. I should of got the DFO instead of there worthless download. I am still learning things the hard way. The DFO is simple to use and you will feel, hear the results when you adjust it.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:19 PM
ernestchet
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: raym

I bought the bike as is from my local HD dealer. The bike was not originally purchased from this dealer and all I know is that it has the screaming eagle AC and upgraded harley pipes. My dealer says the original HD dealer who did the work would have "re-mapped" the EFI when doing this.

Would they have had to use a SERT to do this or is there another method? Terry speaks in his informative article on this forum that the HD download is a "bandaid" approach and not advisable.

I'm wondering if this is what I currently have. I also understand that I definitely will need to purchase a SERT if I do additional engine upgrades, but do not plan to do so anytime soon. My only concern is that I might be doing engine damage as is and this would be the only reason I would purchase and install SERT at this time.

The bike runs great as is but I do not want to risk future damage. It is certainly worth spending the money for SERT and dyno time from my local dealer now rather than paying for damage down the road.
the bike has about 9 months left on the factory warrenty.

the canned HD d/l will not damage the eng! if thats your worry?? if you are only getting some pop on decel, you will be fine!

just ride it the way it is, you won't damage the eng!

Old 09-22-2006, 12:46 PM
flhxi06
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im going to go with the dfo/tfi unit. I haven't seen to many people that have had any problems with them with only exhaust and breather mods.

Quick Reply: EFI tuning for new bike