Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

EFI tuning for new bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 11:27 AM
ricoman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: EFI tuning for new bike

The TFI/DFO is a good way to go if you don't plan on making major mods to your engine (cams, 95", etc.), they do a good job with what you have.
About $150 and an easy install (without removing the tank).
You will lose the popping for sure.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:27 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: raym

I just bought an 05 Roadking Custom with 1700 miles on it. The previous owner had Harley upgrade slip ons installed with screaming eagle air cleaner. This is my first EFI Harley and I haven't got a clue. The dealer said that during this "stage I" upgrade, they remapped the EFI.

The bike runs good and responds better than expected. Back fires a little on deceleration.

Do I need to do additiional EFI tuning such as a SERT or PCIII (not sure the difference yet), or am I good to go as is if the bike runs fine?

I do not want to risk engine damage obviously and I see where Terry1955 states to PLEEEEEEEEEASE Do not use the HD download. Is this what I currently have?

Thanks for any help.

Ray
If the slipons were done along with the air cleaner, you probably have had a remap of the ECM done already and further tuning of the FI is not really needed. The remaps run a tad on the lean side and do give some decel popping which is not a problem, but more of an annoyance because of the noise. You will not damage anything in the motor with the HD download. The lean settings give good power and for most applications work well. There are very many bikes on the road using the HD remap (dealer) with no problems.
The tfi or the dfo mentioned above http://www.dobeckperformance.com/ will richen the engine up as much as you want to over the stock or upgraded download and work very well too. It's a matter of what you wish to accomplish and the means that you want to use. The tfi also works with small cams , 95 inches and other mods also.
Good luck.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:52 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: ricoman

The TFI/DFO is a good way to go if you don't plan on making major mods to your engine (cams, 95", etc.), they do a good job with what you have.
About $150 and an easy install (without removing the tank).
You will lose the popping for sure.
A DFO is still a good way to go if you make some "major" mods (cams, 95", ect). I know of more than one build making good numbers using a TFI/DFO.

Dobeck sells them to police/military for 99 bucks. I bought one at that price. It tuned easily, gave me good throttle response, and good gas mileage.