Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Headlamp Aiming

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 08:26 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Headlamp Aiming

I'm not sure if this fits here or not, I'm sure it'll get moved it doesn't belong here.

I just spent 60 minutes of my life that I will never get back aiming my headlamp and highway lamps. What a fantastic waste of time that was. Previously, my lowbeam aimed way left and way down, and my left highway lamp was aimed center and high, while my right highway lamp was aimed right and a little low, probably about right. It's been this way for nearly 2 years, and I haven't much cared, as the combination of the three gave me all the light that I needed. Sounds pretty good, except that occassionally I would get flashed by oncoming cars. The other day I got home late and as I approached the garage I actually took notice of where the lights were aimed, and decided that I needed to do something about it. I did my 15K service today, washed it for the first time in 3 months and decided I would give the lamps some attention.

I pulled out the grease stained maintenance manual that is falling apart, and found the section on how to aim the headlamps. Not really that much help, but more or less OK. I removed the outer ring and started cranking down on the right screw and the upper screw in an attempt to bring the light up and right. Stupid aluminum popped...you've got to be kidding me.

I won't drag you through the whole thing, but I finally got it close...it's still aimed a little bit to the left, and maybe a tad high, but it looks kind of stupid because the light no longer is even around the chrome collar. It sticks way out on the bottom...and for whatever reason it doesn't look right. Highway lights won't adjust up and down, only left and right...what a pain.

Disgruntled in NC...

Mac

Old 09-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Headlamp Aiming

My highway lights were adjusted by grabbing and just moving them. That's how the shop told me to do it.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:01 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

Did that...but they don't move up and down only lefty righty. They're better than they were, no question.

Mac

Old 09-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure the reflector inside is right on your highway lamps. There is a rectangular bar shape that is supposed to be on the bottom according to the techs.

Mine had one upside down and it aimed really high. Turned it 180* and it was back inline.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:45 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

I'll check...they don't seem to be nearly as much the problem as the main light...

Mac