Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

07 Ultra falling on it's face. NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 05:05 AM
djpullen
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Ultra falling on it's face. NEED HELP!

I rode my 07 Ultra into work tonight and it ran just fine. As soon as I started it when I got ready to leave, I knew it sounded different. It sounded like it was running on one cylinder. The bike has 30k miles with no engine mods other than Nightrider O2 resisters. It still has the stock exhaust as well.

I thought maybe somebody at work had pulled a plug wire. I checked them and they were fine. I pulled the plugs and none of them looked real bad. I replaced both with a set of used plugs I had in my saddle bags and that didn't make any difference. My next thought was that one of the Nightrider resisters went bad so I removed both of them. That didn't make any difference.

I had about a 1/4 tank of gas and wondered maybe if the gas was bad. I put in about 3 gallons and that didn't make any difference. It would seem to run okay at 1/4 throttle but still wasn't running properly. If I have it much throttle quickly for a few seconds, the engine light would come on. Since I just got home from work at 5 am, I haven't messed with it. I thought I'd post this to see if anybody here had any ideas. This is the first engine trouble that I've ever had on this bike and I'm hoping it isn't anything serious. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-10-2010, 05:26 AM
djpullen
Advanced

I just went through and checked the trouble codes.

Under PSSPE, I had codes
p0131 Front O2 Sensor low (Lean)
p0151 Rear O2 Sensor low (lean)
p0152 Rear O2 Sensor high (rich)
p1353 Front cylinder no combustion EFI

I didn't have any codes under the other letters.

I don't know if I had an injector go bad or what.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by djpullen
I just went through and checked the trouble codes.

Under PSSPE, I had codes
p0131 Front O2 Sensor low (Lean)
p0151 Rear O2 Sensor low (lean)
p0152 Rear O2 Sensor high (rich)
p1353 Front cylinder no combustion EFI

I didn't have any codes under the other letters.

I don't know if I had an injector go bad or what.
Had a buds bike do this. I'm no pro but it turned out to be the coil and a bad plug wire. Changed the coil and both wires and he was a happy camper. Make sure the plug wires are either OEM or resistor type wires or you may have intermittent electrical issues with your radio and speedo cutting out. (don't ask me how I know)

Your 02 codes are due to your xIED's, no worries, it's the p1353 front cylinder that is the issue, you are running on your back only and sputtering on the front.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:10 AM
djpullen
Advanced

I pulled both plugs after posting this and they were dry. Would the injector shut off if the plug wasn't firing for that cylinder?

Old 09-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

I pulled both plugs after posting this and they were dry. Would the injector shut off if the plug wasn't firing for that cylinder?
Again, I'm no motor head but I would think not. I was wrong yesterday though but only once.

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter and inspected your dip hoses in the tank for leaks? (thinking out loud)

Old 09-10-2010, 02:04 PM
djpullen
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Again, I'm no motor head but I would think not. I was wrong yesterday though but only once.

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter and inspected your dip hoses in the tank for leaks? (thinking out loud)
I'll check those things tomorrow. I stopped nag got new plugs and wires on my way to work. I'll work on it tomorrow afternoon and see what I can figure out. Looks like you damn near have to pull thetank to change plug wires.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

I'll check those things tomorrow. I stopped nag got new plugs and wires on my way to work. I'll work on it tomorrow afternoon and see what I can figure out. Looks like you damn near have to pull thetank to change plug wires.
My trike is an 07 Ultra... I feel your pain.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:01 PM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds to me like weak fuel pressure too.....

Old 09-11-2010, 12:36 PM
djpullen
Advanced

I put the new plugs and wires on today and it seemed to idle a lot better and allow more throttle before cutting out but it's still not right. I've got to get it in for a 30k mile service so I'll have them look at it. I'm sure I'm going to get raped on it. I think I've made the worst mistake ever when it comes to cost of parts and service. I have a Harley and a John Deere tractor.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If a injector was malfunction it could do this and might not set a injector code.
You would get codes all about other things, like o2 sensors or no compustion, that kind of thing.
I had one go to leaking thru and nothing ever said anything about the injectors.
RPM's and o2 went all to hell and out of control as far as the ECM was concerned.
The ECM didn't know the injector was screwing up, it just knew things were all haywire.

Quick Reply: 07 Ultra falling on it's face. NEED HELP!