Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

99 XL883 blowing headlight fuses instantly.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 03:02 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 XL883 blowing headlight fuses instantly.

Just noticed last night that my headlight was out. Checked the fuses, and every fuse in there was a 25 AMP! OMG! I don't know what size do go there, but it isn't 25s. All I had to replace it were 30s (I know!), but it blows them instantly. Blowing them on high and low beam. The entire wiring harness is stock except for the relocated switch and console, but those connections are good.

I don't know where to start. I do have a test light, but don't know how to use the multimeter to check continuity.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you, RD.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:35 PM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Should be a 15 amp in most positions. Check from the light going back into the harness especially around the neck and where the harness goes into the light shell itself for some bare wires in the harness.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:20 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Everything looks good around the headlight area. Unhooked tail light, in case it was on the same circuit. No luck, still blowing them. Did I say I hate electrical issues? lmao.

Thanx. RD

Old 09-08-2010, 05:29 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

I isolated it to the left hangrip area where the dim/bright switch is located. I unhooked each part of the entire wiring harness one piece at a time. I put a circuit breaker in the fuse spot, and the minute I turned the switch, it cut out until I unplugged the light grey plug in where the wires go up to the left grip. I took the handgrip off, and the wires were squeezed real tight under it. Once I took in apart into two pieces, the breaker never tripped again. I really don't want to cut the protective sheath over the wires, but the problem is definitely there, and nothing looks bad anywhere. I guess I will put it back together and see what happens. Now the horn doesn't work. Damned if I know what to do.

Thank you, RD.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:42 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

The short is exactly is under the clutch lever mount. So I put it all back together for today, will tackle it when it goes out again. This looks like an area that would be prone to a short, since it is squeezed so tight. But it took 12 years to short out, so that isn't too bad I guess.

Thanx again, RD