Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

06 dyna running hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 04:39 AM
waterman7474
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 dyna running hot

so here's what happened. i just painted my pipes black (just the slip-ons and the stock heatshields) it has not overheated twice and it really wasn't that hot out here. the first time i was running it a little hard then got to a light so i just passed it off to that. this time, got stuck in traffic and i noticed more than usual heat comming off the motor, then the lumpy idle heat protection thing.

all that is on it is the d&d slipons w/o the baffles, forcewinder and the download (from the dealer). but the kicker is that apparently the download is the stage 2. apparently, that's what they had to use to get it to run right w/ the forcewinder (i wasn't there when it was done). now it runs just fine, now sputtering at low speeds or anything. i do notice that right before it hits the heat protection, the idle seems to go up slightly.

before, i occasionally got a pop on decel but that was usually after i was on the throttle a little agressively and just chalked it up to too much fuel in the system. it seems to be doing it a little more now.

is it possible that painting the pipe w/ hi-temp has made that much difference to the exhaust temps?

also, it has about 2,400 miles w/ synthetics but i am not sure of the weight and the valvetrain seems to get a little loud when i have been riding for more than an hour so maybe i just need a heavier oil?

that's pretty much everything. hope yall can help.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:35 AM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: 06 dyna running hot

Did you remove the pipes for painting? it is possible you may have an exhaust leak after the reinstall which could cause the popping, as far as the paint causing that much more heat, I have serious doubts on that one.

Old 09-10-2006, 02:07 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What temp heat paint did you use? Also, if you have a stage 2 map for the parts you list, you are running waaaaaay out on your a/f mixtures. And no, painting the pipe isn't the root cause.

Old 09-10-2006, 01:06 PM
bigmo_dynasb
Cruiser

what paint did you use to paint the pipes got any pics?

Old 09-11-2006, 12:14 AM
DTK
Novice

Actually if anything, painting the pipes help you increse the thermal velocity of the exhuast. This is a good thing. One of the benafits of warpping your pipes in heat tape. Themal velocity increase scavaging of the spent exhuast.