Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

air-fuel mixture

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 07:33 PM
spring fever
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air-fuel mixture

Hey, this is my first post on this forum,I would appreciate any advice on a "problem" that I'm having with my bike('03fxstsi) I have found some similar problems on this forum already
but would still like some input. My Samson pipes are glowing orange. I probably would have never noticed but I ride my bike into work on the freeway at 2:00 in the morning.
I just had it on the dyno again for this problem.I've had a few people tell me that this means that it is running too lean and that I'm gonna fry my valves,heads,pistons,etc.
the AFM is almost a perfectly straight line all the way across that runs between 13 and 14. The pipes are still glowing but the bike runs great. I am scared to ride it because I don't
have the money for a new top end of my motor. I have a SE air cleaner and Samson "rip saws"(no baffles) and a power commander111r. If I put the baffles in it without re-tuning it,
that should richen it up,right? I can also change the mixture manually on the power commander but the last dyno tune got me to 68h.p. and 78lbs. of
at 4300r.p.m. with a
A/F ratio that I've been told is right on the money. So the bottom line is that I don't want to %#*&@ with it if there isn't a problem. I just wanna ride. [:@]

Old 09-08-2006, 07:55 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: air-fuel mixture

If your AF #s are correct than Id recheck your timing.Glowing pipe with no restriction isnt good.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:06 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I would put tha baffles in and see what happens. You need backpressure to run right. Do you have any exhause gasket leaks?

Old 09-09-2006, 04:10 AM
spring fever
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response,I'll check out the timing and see if the baffles make a difference.