Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

XM and Sirius radio questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default XM and Sirius radio questions

I have been toying with the notion, against by better judgemnt of paying for somthing that is normally free, of getting either XM or Sirus. My question is if I get the equipment for my Street Glide and pay the subscription is there any way to use that equipment elsewhere?? So could I use it in my truck or in the house or do I have to get seperate equipment and pay subscription on those pieces of equipment as well. Also I have DIRECTV which has all of the XM stations on it. Would having DIRECTV have any effect on an XM subscription?? Cheaper, etc.

Let me add that I am a technology guru/junkie. I just don't know anything about Sat radio because I never had an interest in it. So naturally I never kept up with anything about it.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:40 PM
kdietz
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: XM and Sirius radio questions

I just installed a Roadie XT on my Ultra about a month ago.....did a 6 day trip to Colorado from Fort Worth, Texas....having XM made the trip fantastic....I could listen to the same stations on the entire trip...no more searching for radio stations that only work for 30 minutes or so and no more loading CD's.....I can't imagine travelling without one now....

btw, I bought another car mount and I can take it between my bike and car at any time...I also got a mount for my office....the initial subscription is $13/month...cheaper if you get a year or more.....up to 4 additional radios can be added for $7/month each.....talk some of your buddies into it and your share would be a little over $8 each......make everyone commit to a year so you don't get screwed....when it's time to renew, no cash no signal

Karl

Old 09-06-2006, 02:00 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HD's installs under the fairing and it wouldn't be able to be unplugged and transferred to other vehicles. However, it's awesome the way it integrates into the radio.

Old 09-06-2006, 06:26 AM
kirtapp
Advanced

I have the Sirius Replay mounted on mine. I take it between my car and my bike. You can just unplug the antenna and the power cord, pull it off the holder and away you go with your radio.

I was a little hesitant about getting pay radio, but there isn't a day that goes by that I dont regret the decision one bit. Unsensored radio!! Commercial free music channels!! You have no idea how many commercials there are on regular radio until you get pay radio.

As for which one you go with. I recommend Sirius. Sirius has Howard Stern (who is so much better unscensored), soon to get Nascar from XM, and tons and tons of other choices. Sirius is moving on top of XM. Course.. XM does have Oprah.

Old 09-06-2006, 11:20 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I have Sirius in my cars and offfice and want to install it on the bike.

Where is everyone mounting the antenna, on the fairing (above the headlight) or on the rear fender ?

Thanks

Old 09-06-2006, 12:46 PM
HD Jake
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not endorsing either one as I have both XM in the wifes Van and Sirius in my Jeep...

But if you go to Sirius.com and open up a account with the shopping peice they are offernig a free SIRIUS One and Car
I just ordered one, the only catch is you have to sign up for service (Of Course)

I just got my email confirmation, it cost me $5.78 to order this unit which is normally $49.99
It looks like a radar detector and has a built in wireless fm transimission

Might be because I already am already a member and have Sirius in my Jeep, but worth a look

Thank you for your order! Please print this page for your records.

Order #: XXXXXXX
Order Date: 2006-09-06

Shopping Cart Items Price Qty
Free SIRIUS One and Car Kit (Ships by 9/25/06)
Store Item #1619565
SKU SV1-SUB
Bundle Includes:
1x SUB-FLYER
1x SV1 $ 49.99 USD 1
Subtotal: $ 49.99
Shipping: $ 5.78
Discount: $ -49.99
Total: $ 5.78

Old 09-06-2006, 01:19 PM
FlaFatBoy
Advanced

Monster...I overheard someone say its too hard to get the XM radio unplugged with a fairing. No problem...buy the Delphi My-Fi and it has a built in FM wireless modulator. It also comes with everything you would need for home and car. Only one subscription would be needed to use it anywhere. One other thing...this unit can also be used like a Walkman. Hope this helped.

Randy

Old 09-06-2006, 01:56 PM
CRASH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's the best thing since the MP3! I got Sirius and haven't listened to "regular" radio since. The biggest difference I see between XM and Sirius is XM has baseball games while Sirius gets football. Also, I don't know if XM has one, but Sirius has a unit that lets you "rewind" and listen to what you missed while out of the vehicle, kinda like TiVo.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:01 PM
HD Jake
Road Warrior

Also, NASCAR is moving to Sirius in January and leaving XM

There is one channel I really like on XM, I think it is 49, but the others are OK... My wife love XM over Sirius for her own reasons

Old 09-06-2006, 05:26 PM
HD Jake
Road Warrior

STORE LOGIN

MY ACCOUNT
ORDER STATUS

STORE HELP

0 ITEM(S)

Home > Hidden Category

Click to Enlarge +
Free SIRIUS One and Car Kit (Ships by 9/25/06)

Model#: SV1-SUB

Streamline the way you listen to SIRIUS in your car with a low-profile unit that places a premium on simplicity. High-contrast display is easy to read at a glance and flips over for inverted mounting; wireless transmission uses your existing FM receiver.

Price: $49.99
Discount: (Terms) -$49.99
Your Price: $0.00

Mouse over image to view larger

Free shipping on all orders over $49.99

Quick Reply: XM and Sirius radio questions