Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

brakes activate the starter??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:20 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts
Default brakes activate the starter??

I know it's a short in the right switch housing but should we just take it to the dealer?
It's my buddies 2009 Fatboy, just today the bike started turning the starter every time he hit the front or rear brake. He wasn't sure what it was and came to my place to have a look at it. He said he could hear a grinding every time he hit his brakes so i figured it was the brake pads. I went out to give it a ride and as soon as i turned on the switch and pulled the brake and clutch the bike started??? Didn't even have to have the bike running for it to start the starter with just the brakes. While it was running i hit the front brakes and the started engaged and the same when i hit the back brakes. I took apart the right switch housing to look for a short and couldn't see one so while it was apart i turned on the swith and know it starts just by turning the switch in the center of the tank?? I started moving the switch wires with a small screw driver and still couldnt see any kinks or bare wires, but after we tried it again the bike was back to normal. I put it all back together and still was working fine so i told him if it started again we would just trailer it to the dealer. As soon as he was pulling into his driveway it started to activate the starter again when he hit the brakes?
This is a 2009 with just over 5000 miles, would this be covered under warrenty? He bought the bike used from the dealer and it had some street slammers installed already.
Would just like to know if it should be covered because if not i know we can get it figured out but would like to have it documented at the dealer if it's going to be covered?
Any thoughts?

Old 08-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I can't answer the warranty part, but something is surely crossed.
Generally, you have a brake light relay and a starter relay somewhere on the bike located in very close proximity to each other. They are usually identical part numbers so it does not matter which goes where. Since this happens with both the front and rear brake activation....maybe some wiring has gotten together around the harness to these two relays. Does his brake lights work?

I had a problem with the rear belt cutting into this misplaced harness once that had dropped down off the frame, but I caught it before it cut enough insulation off the wiring for anything to touch.

Time to get out the old wiring diagram!

Old 08-17-2010, 09:09 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

No one knows if this would be covered under warranty?

Old 08-18-2010, 06:38 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's covered by warranty unless you caused it. Damage done due to continuing to ride it might not be covered though.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:36 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

The dealer said it would be covered, were going to run it up today. It sucks having the dealer over an hour away or it would have already been over there! He just didnt want to drop $100 on gas towing the bike up there in a trailer if it wasn't going to be covered and we could have fixed it for free.
Thanks for the help!