Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Is this the dreaded 8 degree injector problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 09:58 PM
hdjoe88
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this the dreaded 8 degree injector problem?

Have a little over 2500 miles. I've read about the 8 degree injector issue (I have the 8 degrees) but didn't think I had a problem until today. Stalled out (Not the driver, 25 years exp.) while pulling out into traffic about 3 minutes after cold start up. Second time was a cough or surge type while starting up and turning from a stop sign. Both times I almost dumped the bike. I hear some dealers are blaming the addition of ethanol in gas for rough engines. WTF? I'm scheduled Wednesday to have the piece of crap Harman/Kardon replaced. Plan to bring it up to the S/M. If the dealer wants to install the 25 degree injectors, will I have to have the SERT remapped? Should I have to pay for that? Thanks.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:47 AM
FXSTI Guy
Banned
Default RE: Is this the dreaded 8 degree injector problem?

I'm having some occasional "blip" type stalls both cold-start and hot-running on my '06 Standard. It started acting up after about 700 miles on my FXSTI...sounds like your problem is the same as mine...it's the 8* injectors. I went to the dealer service dept and it only took about 5 seconds of explaining before the service tech knew exactly what I was talking about. I take it in on Thurs. this week for the 25* injector swap. NO it shouldn't cost you anything for the injector swap (they're not charging me) and YES you'll have to have your ECM re-mapped for the new injectors and NO you shouldn't have to pay for the re-mapping...but then again I still have my stock pipes and A.C. with the stock ECM map. I'm not sure how they'll handle it if you have a SERT download...DEFINITELY bring the injector thing up when you take it in on Wed.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:13 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 100 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: hdjoe88

Have a little over 2500 miles. I've read about the 8 degree injector issue (I have the 8 degrees) but didn't think I had a problem until today. Stalled out (Not the driver, 25 years exp.) while pulling out into traffic about 3 minutes after cold start up. Second time was a cough or surge type while starting up and turning from a stop sign. Both times I almost dumped the bike. I hear some dealers are blaming the addition of ethanol in gas for rough engines. WTF? I'm scheduled Wednesday to have the piece of crap Harman/Kardon replaced. Plan to bring it up to the S/M. If the dealer wants to install the 25 degree injectors, will I have to have the SERT remapped? Should I have to pay for that? Thanks.
That's it.

They have a canned map for stock with 25º injectors that comes with the install. If you had a custom map that's gonna be a good question..

Old 09-05-2006, 02:21 AM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I had my injectors swapped to the 25's my dealer re-dynoed and custom mapped (powercommander III).

They charged me $000.00.

Primo

Old 09-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Before the swap from 8 to 25 on my 2006 RK Classic, my scooter had the standard cold missing and coughing through the intake. It would do it when cold and when I slowed down to a constant 35-45 mph after being at a high throttle settiing for extended periods. An example would be running around town after being on the interstate.

The 25 degree injectors and flash was, in my estimate, a 90% solution. Every once in a while I still get a cough, but only right after a cold startup. My mileage dropped from a solid 43 mpg to around 40 mpg. This is not big deal since my truck only gets 11 mpg! However, all in all the bike runs better.

There is a link to the HD service bulleting in several of the threads here which addresses this issue. When I showed it to my Service Manager there was no question on what would be done and who was going to pay for it. I believe the bulleting is M-1185.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Edmo

Old 09-05-2006, 12:12 PM
hdjoe88
Road Captain

Thanks for the feedback. I figured it was the 8 degree injectors. I bought the bike with the S/E slipons and SERT from the dealer. Should be interesting to see if they try and charge me for the remap. Will keep you posted.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:12 PM
cap_njack
Novice

If you have anything other than stock exhaust and air cleaner it will cost you $212.00 for the download. I had the 25 deg injectors installed, they said it would fix my problem which was stuttering and cutting out at low cruising rpms.....it did nothing for me except take money out of my wallet

Old 09-06-2006, 05:42 PM
hdjoe88
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: hdjoe88

UPDATE: Went to dealer today for the above mentioned. No hassle, no fuss, NO CHARGE!. Got the new radio, 25 degree injectors and remapped SERT. Put about 60 miles on it and running smooth.

Old 09-08-2006, 02:05 PM
UGGA
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bike was running fine with the 8 degree injectors, but I told my dealer that I would like to have the 25's put in "just in case", and they did it for me at no cost. I didn't want to have one of the few bikes ever made with the 8's - I thought that it might hurt my resale value.
Some dealers are better to deal with than others.

Doug

Old 09-08-2006, 03:26 PM
WildBill76
Tourer

I still have the eight Degree injectors. When I run 94 Octane all is fine, when I run93 I get just a little surging around 35 mph. Gas varies a little market to market. EPA related. I had asked about the 25 degree injectors, but they would had to keep the bike for a week or so to test it out. If your bike meets thestrict criteria they will replace the injectors.

Quick Reply: Is this the dreaded 8 degree injector problem?