Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Is this the dreaded 8 degree injector problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 04:37 PM
hdjoe88
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is this the dreaded 8 degree injector problem?

No longer have the 94Ultra gas here in S. Jersey. Sunoco did away with it and now have only 93. It amazes me to read on here the different stories of how each dealer handles similar issues differently. I barely had explained to my service manager the two stalling stories and he said "There's a upgrade on the injectors. We'll install the 25 degree injectors for you." No charge. Did it while I waited.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:18 AM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealer replaced my 8 degree injectors on the Thursday with the 25's while I waited. No questions asked. They also remapped the ECM as part of the replacement and test rode the bike. No Charge. Since then I've installed SE Slip-ons and SE A/C. I have the SERT and will remap the ECM after I ride it for a liitle bit to see if I notice any difference in the "before and after upgrade" performance.

BTW-the slip-ons were not as easy to install as I was led to believe. Aligning them was a b*tch. Maybe I didn't do something properly but those mufflers are a lot closer together than I think they should be.

Bart
06 Dyna Low Rider

Old 11-20-2006, 03:30 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had no idea about the 8 begree injector issue until I tried to install my SERT today. Turns out I have the 8 degree set. I'm going to call my dealers local and see if I can get them swapped now, BEFORE they cause a problem. I've got three in close proximity so maybe I'll get luck and one will do them for me.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the bulletin M-1185
Fuel Injector/Calibration Changes For 2006 1450cc Big Twins
February 20, 2006

Purpose
It has recently been determined that the 8° angle cone spray fuel injectors used on 2006 1450cc Big Twins may cause cold start and/or driveability problems on some motorcycles.

In the interest of promoting customer satisfaction, the 25° angle cone spray fuel injectors used on CVO 103 cu. in. (1690cc) motors will be installed on all production Big Twins beginning on or around February 13, 2006.

Additionally, Harley-Davidson will provide for the installation of 25° angle cone spray fuel injectors on those motorcycles where use of the 8° fuel injectors (part number 27625-06) is determined to be directly responsible for cold start and/or driveability problems.

NOTE
Due to changes in the manufacturing process, the part number of the 25° angle cone spray fuel injector is changing from 27709-06 to 27709-06A. This fuel injector also will be stamped with the words “25 DEG” for easy identification.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:47 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bryan1724

Here's the bulletin M-1185
Fuel Injector/Calibration Changes For 2006 1450cc Big Twins
February 20, 2006

Purpose
It has recently been determined that the 8° angle cone spray fuel injectors used on 2006 1450cc Big Twins may cause cold start and/or driveability problems on some motorcycles.

In the interest of promoting customer satisfaction, the 25° angle cone spray fuel injectors used on CVO 103 cu. in. (1690cc) motors will be installed on all production Big Twins beginning on or around February 13, 2006.

Additionally, Harley-Davidson will provide for the installation of 25° angle cone spray fuel injectors on those motorcycles where use of the 8° fuel injectors (part number 27625-06) is determined to be directly responsible for cold start and/or driveability problems.

NOTE
Due to changes in the manufacturing process, the part number of the 25° angle cone spray fuel injector is changing from 27709-06 to 27709-06A. This fuel injector also will be stamped with the words “25 DEG” for easy identification.

Now do you really think that you should state that is the bulletin? It's an extremely edited version of a 2 page bulletin...

Old 11-22-2006, 12:27 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Go find another dealer and get it done while HD will pay for it. Then ask your dealer if they let you "test" the bike for a week before you wrote them a check. My dealer said "no problem we will change them and don't worry HD is paying the tab". Your dealer trusted you enough to accept payment for your motorcycle.......they should trust you enough when you come back and tell them it isn't running right.

ORIGINAL: WildBill76

I still have the eight Degree injectors. When I run 94 Octane all is fine, when I run93 I get just a little surging around 35 mph. Gas varies a little market to market. EPA related. I had asked about the 25 degree injectors, but they would had to keep the bike for a week or so to test it out. If your bike meets thestrict criteria they will replace the injectors.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:11 AM
gilbertb11
Tourer

Does anyone know if the dealer will use the fact that I have a PCIII to refuse to change the FIs? What is the best excuse to give for having the FIs changed?

Old 01-05-2007, 10:25 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: gilbertb11

Does anyone know if the dealer will use the fact that I have a PCIII to refuse to change the FIs? What is the best excuse to give for having the FIs changed?

Someone stated in a previous post that it's interesting how each dealer handlesagiven situation, only your dealer can answer your question for sure.

Besides inconsistanciesin policy from dealer to dealer, what I find interesting is that a bike can run a longtime without the problem, thenit can develop later. Does anyone know why this is happening? My guess is,sounds like the outer face and stem of theintake valve is getting, with miles,sooted up, possibly due to the oil from the PCV system causing what is called"fuel spongeing". What happens is that the injector's sprayedfuel gets absorbedthen released into the valve'ssoot depending on thevalves temps causing erratic fuel delivery into the combustion chamber. The 25* injectorsbetter direct the fuel around the valve during injection.If this is the case, bikes with the8* injectors could have this problem further down the road as the more worn engine's blowby increases, causing more PCV oil to accumulate on the intake valves. It would be interesting to take a bike that has the problem, thenhave the valves cleaned, nothing like water injection to steam clean induction and combustion chambers, to see if this affects the condition. Either way, if I had an 06, I would want 25s, even if it cost me.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:31 AM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anybody know if this affects the 05 models? It seems like every morning when I leave the house, I just get out of the drive and I'm into my lean for the right turn and it pukes. Just hits a flat spot, starved for fuel. I've noticed some popping when I let off to shift gears too. On the dyno, the air/fuel ratio is almost a flat line at 13 (12.85-13.7 variation).

Old 01-05-2007, 10:45 AM
BigGeorge
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: gilbertb11

What is the best excuse to give for having the FIs changed?
The best excuse is that you almost dropped your bike in traffic while making a left turn from a signal light because the bike coughed and sputtered then took off like a rocket. Make it a safety issue. Explain to your dealer that it doesnt happen all the time but when it does its scarey. The nice thing about the PCIII is that you can remove it, put on your old exhaust and air filter and no one's the wiser. The last option is just find a dealer who will work with you. I had to go to 3 dealers before I found one willing to change out my injectors. It took less than an hour and no questions asked. That is the dealer that I now spend my money at when I need parts, clothes, etc..........BG

Quick Reply: Is this the dreaded 8 degree injector problem?