Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Commander or SERT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 07:16 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Power Commander or SERT?

OK I know your probably sick of listening to me bitch about the way my bike runs with the DFO so I'll quit. I'm trying to make an intelligent choice on what to do next.I've read the latest article in American Iron and they tend to favor the PC3 but none of thier testing was done on an 06 Dyna with the closed loop fuel injection.There might be less warranty issues with the Screaming Eagle product but since I'm in CA. and the dealerships are no longer installing or tuning them it probably doesn't matter.I'm not very mechanically inclined but I am somewhat computer literate.I'm little confused about how these things work do I have to have them hooked up to the computer and the bike at the same time?Do I need an internet connection?Obviosly I have one but if I have to move my desktop to the garage I wont.My biggest complaint with how my bike is running now is the constant decel popping and backfiring I hate to spend another $500 just to get rid of that but it's driving me crazy which one is most likely to eliminate this the easiest.I notice I'm not the only one with this issue.

Old 09-04-2006, 08:21 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Power Commander or SERT?

When I was looking for a tuner for my 06 Dyna I thought the two were very comparable to what they had in tuning capabilities, with the SERT having slightly more options, I bought the SERT based on not wanting to have just one more elecrical device added to the bike for potential failure, just seemed like good common sense. I read the article in AIM and thought they did not give the SERT a fair shake, they are used to using the pcIII so that is what they are comfortable with. The PcIII eliminates the use of the 02 sensors, you can also do this with the SERT which is what I have done to my 06 Dyna and am very happy with the way it runs. If you want to know the way the SERT works it just simply reprograms your computer based on changes you make to the fuel and timing maps, you can also change a whole other array of things like the rev limit, cranking fuel ,decel enleanment, accel enrichment ,injector size, etc. It also has the feature of data mode to help with tuning, the down side is live tuning is not possible with the SERT so you have to make changes to your base map and stop and reload for each change. As for where to buy one,Zannotti's has them for 357 plus shipping, the part number for your bike is 32107-01E. I cant speak for how good or bad the pcIII may be but I know I was not dissapointed with the SERT Also one last thing, If you are using either of these without some sort of exhaust gas analysis you are really just guessing, but that does not mean you cant get a decent tune without, common sense and learning the software will get you a long ways.
P.S. somewhere on the forum springer has an Excellent post on the SERT that gives a very good explanation of its workings.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:42 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Power Commander or SERT?

P.S. somewhere on the forum springer has an Excellent post on the SERT that gives a very good explanation of its workings.

I've read up quite a bit on this, I'm not really looking forward to installing and tuning this myself but it runs so bad now I probably can't make it much worse.The other concern I have is if I do get the sert or PC if I can't get it right I won't be able to find a shop that can fix it.A couple of the shops I've been to swear by the DFO and claim there's nothing wrong with the way my bike runs "they all do that" "it's normal"One tried to convince me that I'm riding it wrong I just need to pull in the clutch more or not close the throttle too abruptly.I have owned at least a dozen bikes and always open up the intake and exhaust none of them have ever backfired this much .I even have an old CX500 ratter with home made drag pipes that doesn't backfire as much as my nearly new Dyna.