Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

ECM stupidy question.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 02:00 PM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default ECM stupidy question.....

Okay, here is the first of many stupid questions?

I cannot locate this Sert or Race Tuner in the Harley catalog or the HD website? I am mechanicly inclined and have done all the work on my bikes. How hard is this unit to install and operate? What are the part numbers needed? This IS my first EFI bike and am not sure on these items. I was looking into the Vance and Hines fuel pack for ease, but there may be better. I will be installing VH slip ons and the stage 1 air cleaner soon and know that I will need to do some sort of tunning or download. Please help. The bike is an 07 EG Standard.

Old 09-04-2006, 02:42 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Default RE: ECM stupidy question.....

First, there won't be any maps, etc. for an '07 for a little while.

Second, the SERT will be in the Screamin' Eagle catalog.

Third, I don't know if it will work with an '07 so make sure you have an '07 SE catalog, if there is one yet.

Up through '06, to which I can speak, the SERT was the most adaptable and future proof of the ECM controllers. It was also the most expensive.

If your bike has O2 sensors and can run in closed loop mode, then you may want to do some very thorough research and thinking before selecting a unit. There are advantages and disadvantages to having O2 sensors when it comes to performance. On a Corvette, you just change the learn blocks and you get tuned performance but retain the benefits of an O2 sensor. I don't have one on my '06 Nightrain, so I don't know what the choices are, if any, where open or closed loop systems are concerned.

There are many great threads on the topic in this forum, and one that is on hold in the DIY area of the forum. Of course, there is no telling what the '07 situation is. HD seems to be getting really gun shy where the EPA is concerned. In my research, there were very few HD Service personnnel in my area that I trusted where EFI tuning is concerned. There are a lot of people on this forum that can give you good, un-biased advice however.

The basic rule is, as in golf clubs, the really cheap solutions are like hitting the golf ball with a ball bat. Once you get to the mid price to high price range, it takes a pro to tell the difference enough to make a balanced economic based decision. If you aren't going to change your stroke, heads, cams, or bore, ever, then you can safely stay in the mid range price units, imho. That leaves out HD's race fueler and VH's fuel pak, for me. Oh... and I bought mid range priced golf clubs, too... which may qualify my opinion for you <grin>.

C#

Old 09-05-2006, 12:31 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tuner is not sold on the website or the street legal catalog. You will only find it on the Screamin' Eagle Pro catalog. THe tuner will be a great product for what you are installing.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:43 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

The Tuner IS AVAILABLE, for the MY07, with all necessary maps (02-07).....

The Part No. is 32107-01E....

You get the software (v 4.60), and the "Key" for the interface.....

32108-06 will get you the necessary cables, as they are now seperate.....

FWIW, the FuelPack is not adjustable like the SERT, it is a modem Fuel Modifier, and if it ever craps out, you are screwed, and will have to take it out of the loop, and hope that your ECM configuration can get you home....

Old 09-05-2006, 02:20 AM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks Shovelhead Bob....
Is this system pretty easy to use following the directions? What about warranty issues on a new bike. I would think as long as you use the HD versions it should not void any warrantys?

Old 09-05-2006, 02:20 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

[sm=signs007.gif][sm=exactly.gif]

What he said.

I love mine. 06 Low Rider.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

It is very easy to use, instructions are ok....

Warrenty.... That is a touchy one....

Some dealers don't touch it as it is for Closed Track use, others will run it as a normal warrenty....

Check with yours first, get a feel for their take on it...

Old 09-05-2006, 10:19 AM
irlm1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as for useability...yes it easy to use.
there is an instruction manual stored in the diy section. download and read thru and u get an idea of what its capable of , and how.