Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

tuned and got a cold knock

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:53 PM
remmag
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default tuned and got a cold knock

hey all
i just recently picked up my bike from having a power commander installed and tuned, bike runs alot better (smoother than before). had always had problems with it running rough going slow or around town

today when i left from work , started the bike and noticed it sounded like a diesel, cleared up after a couple of minutes, i must admit i had a LITTLE PANIC ATTACK, but wrote it off as my ears

got the bike home and let it cool for a few hours went and started it ,same noise only went away faster , i would call this a knock. it never did this before so i am making an assumption that it has something to do with the tuning, i will call the guy who did the work and so far i have full confidence he will do what is necessary

if you guys could give me a little education i would feel alot better understanding this

thanks guys

Old 08-14-2010, 07:13 AM
DDeFendi
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 09 Ultra has started the same noise, bike has to sit more than 6 hours and noise only last 10-15 seconds...

I am thinking a bad lifter pumping up... I'm putting a foursome of Bob Wood Directional Knight Prowler lifters later this month (will see if noise goes away)..

Dennis in SC

Old 08-14-2010, 10:58 AM
donovann2o
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some ecm's dont fully come "alive" until your motor has reached a pre-determined temp. whether its timing or fuel they usually have a warm up period before they incorporate all the adjustments. For example I have a zippers unit and the idle rpm will stay around 1200 until the motor reaches its operating temp then it comes down to 900 rpm. I am not sure if the PC has this function or not but maybe the upgraded tune just made it more noticeable.