Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Speedometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:20 AM
gsgtrman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer not working

Hey - I have a 2004 FXSTI. My speedometer (stock) stopped working. I did a search here and elsewhere to see if this was a common problem, but based on what I have read, mine is a little different. The ONLY thing that is not working is the speedometer. When I turn the ignition on, the needle shakes a little bit. If I switch it to ACC, it sweeps all the way around until it is pointing straight down, at which point it will gradually work its way back to almost zero while I am riding.
My odometer and tripometers are fine. All other electrical functions are fine - no problems with the turn signals canceling, all other indicator lights are working, the speedo backlight is ok, no problems idling or running. I changed the speed sensor and that did not fix the problem. I checked the electrical connections (including the battery), unplugged and plugged back in, this didn't fix it either. Any ideas before I resign myself to a new speedometer?
Thanks for your help.