Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

'05 Stage II - True Dual Kit- Retune?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:06 AM
yogi_bear_79
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default '05 Stage II - True Dual Kit- Retune?

When I bought my RG in '05 I had the Stage II big bore kit installed. Back in '05 the factory supplied new maps for the computer, so I don't have a tuner.

I recently added a FullSac True Dual Kit. This allowed me to retain my SE slipons, and the majority of the stock pipes.
http://www.fullsac.com/true-dual-kits.html

The bike runs fine, however it backfires (cackles a lot) now. Engine braking down a steep grade it cackles. Whenever you let off the throttle etc.

Do I need to get it tuned? I really didn't want to have to buy a tuner. Most of the ones I looked at have a map for the stage II with pipes, but that's what I had before, so doubt it would help much. I'd hate to buy a tuner, and find the available maps are just like what I already have.

I figure I'd need a custom tune/Dyno run/tune. I am located in the vicinity of Zepka's HD in Johnstown PA. I have read on here that Brian in the service department works wonders. Someone had posted it was like $300 there which I wouldn't mind, if i didn't have to buy a $400+ tuner on top of that.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by yogi_bear_79
When I bought my RG in '05 I had the Stage II big bore kit installed. Back in '05 the factory supplied new maps for the computer, so I don't have a tuner.

I recently added a FullSac True Dual Kit. This allowed me to retain my SE slipons, and the majority of the stock pipes.
http://www.fullsac.com/true-dual-kits.html

The bike runs fine, however it backfires (cackles a lot) now. Engine braking down a steep grade it cackles. Whenever you let off the throttle etc.

Do I need to get it tuned? I really didn't want to have to buy a tuner. Most of the ones I looked at have a map for the stage II with pipes, but that's what I had before, so doubt it would help much. I'd hate to buy a tuner, and find the available maps are just like what I already have.

I figure I'd need a custom tune/Dyno run/tune. I am located in the vicinity of Zepka's HD in Johnstown PA. I have read on here that Brian in the service department works wonders. Someone had posted it was like $300 there which I wouldn't mind, if i didn't have to buy a $400+ tuner on top of that.
Call Steve at Fullsac... tell him your problem. The issue is, unless you have a tuner you will not be able to work out these issues or give the bike to any Dyno guy like Brian (who is very good by the way). Again, Brian will need a tuner of some sort to help you.

The reason I'm asking you to call Steve at Fullsac is that he sells the TTS at a good price and probably has a map that is very close to your modification. You can install his map then take your time and save your money to go see Brian. This way you won't get hit all at once. You can also tweak the map yourself and fix your issues. You may save yourself a trip to the Dyno.

Also, you may be asked to install 02 sensors on your pipes so the ECM can run in closed loop and so you can VTune yourself like Brian. There's nothing wrong with running in open loop as long as you maintain basic altitudes and run similar gas all the time.

There's a lot more to this but this is the condensed version.... Call Steve, tell him I said to get his **** to work.